The Blind Lead the Blind

.........................................

"I gave him a bottle, bathed him, changed him and put him to bed. He's fine, Noah", Austin assures me on the other end of the phone.

"What about those test results you were running? Have you locked that window in room? There's always a cold draft in there....", I rambled, partially happy he was doing fine but the other part of me was picking at any possible scenario that could go wrong.

"The window is locked, the thermostats is on, and tests are still running.....", Stephanie's encouraging voice spoke.

"Where's Ivanna, have you guys been keeping an eye on her, she's still scared after that beating she took...."

It's not my lack of trust in them, its my paranoia getting ahold of me. Before I could even protest, my phone was being taken away from behind me by Christian.

"Steph, send her a photo of Raeven sleeping. That'll put her nerves to rest", was all he said before hanging up the phone.

"We're a half hour away from landing. Relax", his warm and husky voice assures me. But that goes only so far to alleviate my fears. I reach for my phone but instead of handing me phone, he raises it up high in the air, way beyond my reach. "He's fine".

He presses his lips against my forehead before handing me the phone. Just when I thought the sight of this man was too sexy to bare, he flashes that gorgeous wink of his eye, and it immediately makes me swoon.

Part of me was was relieved that Christian and I buried the hatchet, Raeven was safe and doing extremely well for baby that spent only 6 and a half months in the oven. But I was no closer to regaining that fading glimpse of my sanity left.

On the other hand, we know now where are the arms, drugs and funding were coming from. We all felt the stakes rise higher if that were even possible compared to before. Now armed with all we needed to stop him, with the chip safely with us, and with Austin and Ivanna working on the decryptions, we finally had some kind of leverage with time on our side. They're bound to notice the cargo missing soon.

Dragging my eye line back to Christian, I can't help but feel blessed to be on the same page with him. I see the gleam in him eyes everytime he's with Raeven. He's getting there. He loves his son more than I ever hoped or imagined he would. I don't know what reversed his stance on the situation but I'm glad something did. Because he's a whole new man because of it. And I wouldn't change him for the world.

But I wondered if going too far tonight would push him away once again. I couldn't get a grip of myself after that vicious, uncalled beat down. It was just another shining example that I was losing every inch of sanity as the days go by.

"Didn't take you as the low blow type, Pierce", Karen spoke up from the other side of the table, interrupting that good freaking moment I was having! 35 minutes. 35 long, torturous minutes until I'm off this plane and as far away from this girl as possible.

"You should know all about that. After all it is your specialty", replying with my trademark sarcasm before taking a sip of beer.

"I know it's none of my business or anything but...I'm not sure nursing mothers should drink...", she suggests.
"You're right....", I interrupted. "It's none of your business", I retorted smugly, not caring about what she or anyone else had to say about my drinking.

Smiling, she picks up her phone. "Ring Ring. It's your liver, I got bad news for ya". She's using my own sarcasm against me but I was ready to play along.