D.T.A (Don't Trust Anyone)

..........................................

"Looks like your interrogation worked out", she informs me, handing over the open file of the police reports. What I saw was a deceased Hector Valentine, sitting upright against blood stained wall. 

"Sheriff found him shivved in his county cell the day we dumped him off there", he continued. This had to the warning shot that Styles warned me about.

"So what? These bite-sized counties are involved in this crap?", I asked her, sifting through the paperwork to the medical report.

"You heard Escobar junior, this thing's bigger than we thought. Small town counties don't have much power over big shot attorneys", she admitted, releasing a defeated sigh.

"Any word on what was in that shipment?", I asked, handing over the files and walking to the fridge for a beer.

"Mostly dope, crack, and just about any other illegal street drug there is. Word is it caused a huge buzz up north, set them back a couple days".

"And that's why Valentine was killed", I added confidently, partially to examine her response. I was 90% sure she was in on it, but I wasn't about to let my guard down in front of her again.

Through the corner of my eye, I see Christian walking in, his shirtless body glistening under the natural light. The sight of him almost caught me off track and detailed me from reality.

"There were a couple of other things. AK's and magnum parts. Baptiste worked a case a couple years back, shipping gun parts with the drugs. If we could stop that manufacturing then their forced to look elsewhere for the parts. I'm gonna try my luck and dig through the archives back at the office. I'll be gone for the night", she admitted, placing her service gun in her back pocket with the intent of leaving.

"You're going alone?", he asked her.

She turns for head and takes a good look at him, more specifically, his shirtless body. To say she was gawking would an understatement. "You eager to carpool with me again?", she remarks, her eyes roaming every inch of his shirtless body.

"Hard pass. But I know Noah would love to", he suggests, and immediately shot him a wide eyed glare. Douchebag! I knew what he was trying to do, and I played off it. I made my skepticism clear to him about Karen. But if I had eyes on her at all times, at least I could see what coming next.

Her eyes darted back and forth between me and Christian. Tearing my 'I will kill you' glance off Christian, I take a deep breathe and slug down half the beer bottle. But no amount of liquor could get me so buzzed to willingly work with her again.

"That's a generous offer, really. If I get a paper cut sifting through archives, I'll be sure to have you on speed dial", she remarks. "Besides, I'm always packing", she added protectively. How cute, she thought we're trying to protect her.

"Bullshit, you're packing toys", I called out, pulling myself up from the desk and sliding my gun into the back of my jeans.

"Couple rounds of .28 really swelled up your dick size", I mocked her, taking a shock at her new found confidence.

"No offense but you ain't shuffling a full deck upstairs", she smiled sarcastically, pointing to her temple. "I can do this alone", she reiterated.

"Knock yourself out", I countered with a poker face, with my words having a much different meaning than what she had in mind. Her eyebrow raises in curiosity before I shut it down. As she thinks about walking off, I spill the beans. "No really. Knock yourself out", I retorted sarcastically, letting my words sink in. My eyes stayed locked on her, mounting the pressure.