Meet The Carters

I woke up the next morning in Lincoln's bed, alone. His tablet was beside me, but he was no where to be seen.

"Link? Lincoln?" I called, making sure he wasn't in the room before I slipped out of it. I walked down the hall quickly, almost running into Dustin.

"Wow, slow down." He laughed. I cracked a smile before sliding past him and into the kitchen. I stopped in surprise in the middle of the living room. Kendra, Kelly as well as Jared and Jamie were all playing the Wii, almost hitting each other with the remotes. They were all laughing or giggling and I couldn't help but smile at the scene.

"My Lady." Ronan bowed as he walked into the room from the kitchen, his white shirt drenched in what looked like a mixture of syrup and flour.

"Don't ever let a seven year old cook with you. Or else this will happen." He warned, pointing at himself. I laughed, patting his shoulder as I walked by.

"No! I put that in!" Steven snapped as I walked into the room. He ripped the cupcake liners from Lincoln's hands before grinning. Lincoln looked up, a little scared. A smile spread across his face when he saw me standing in front of the fridge.

"Good morning, Stella." Steven perked up at the mention of my name and waved the bowl of batter in the air.

"We making cupcakes for Link's birthday." I frowned then looked back at Lincoln. It was his birthday?

"It's not actually for another few weeks but the kids wanted to have a party before you left." He rolled his eyes, staring at me like it wasn't a big deal.

"Oh." Is all I said, my eyes going back to Steven, who by the looks of it, would definitely need a shower when he was done cooking.

"Is something wrong, Stella?" He asked, sliding in between his brother and the cabinet so he was in front of me. I looked down at the ground, shrugging.

"It's my best friend's birthday today. He. . . nevermind." Lincoln touched my shoulder gently.

"What's wrong?" He questioned, pushing my hair out of my eyes. I never got the chance to reply. Jared and Kelly came running into the kitchen and started to drag me out.

"You've got to play with us, Stella! I promise I won't hit you with the ball this time." Jared said, sitting on the couch as he gave me his controller. I glanced back into the kitchen to find Lincoln leaning against the fridge, smiling at me.

"Stella, come on." Kendra elbowed me, smiling like nothing had happened last night. Lincoln must have talked to them.

"I'm warning you guys," I said, "I am a master at Mario Kart."

***

"Mmm, no. I think chocolate tastes so much better." Jamie said through a mouth full of cake.

"I agree. Like. . . it's like heaven, man." Jared added to his brother's comment, pushing a strand of blond hair off of his forehead.

"It's present time!" Uh oh. I looked up at Lincoln in horror. I hadn't even know if this "party" until this morning. How was I supposed to know to get him a present?

"Here! This one is from me and Kendra." Kelly said, handing their oldest brother a neatly wrapped blue present. He took the box and tore it open beside me, smiling at what he saw inside.

"We know that you lost your lucky ring, so we got you a new one." Kendra said, smiling sweetly at Lincoln.

"Thanks, girls." He said, grinning at them. Jamie and Jared were next and ended up giving Lincoln a gift card for some restaurant. Then it was Steven, Angie, and Ronan who had all bought a gift together. It was. . . unique. It was an alarm clock with mickey mouse ears. Lincoln handed it to me as he opened Chris' present which was a watch.