Chapter 3: New Homes

Amaura felt herself being released from that stupid sphere again. It was easier to recover this time, and she came out on her feet. She looked around. She was sitting next to Madison, and she could see that she was in some kind of ... well, cave.  It had pink walls and plenty of matching white furniture. It wasn't big, but it didn't feel small. The one giant clear covering on the wall made it feel more open.

Madison's shoulders shook as she cried. "I-I'm sorry ... I failed you. I couldn't keep track of you for even a minute."  She let out another huge sob.  "I'm such a horrible trainer!" she wailed, "I-I'll bring you back to the scientist tomorrow ... H-He'll find a much better home for you ..."  She winced as she said this, and Amaura could tell she really hated the idea.

     Amaura hesitated.  She really didn't want to go back to the scientist; after all, he was the one who got them into this mess.  And she could see that Madison was a good ... girl? Thing? Amaura still didn't know what these creatures were.

     Amaura made her decision.  She cuddled up to Madison and gave her a sympathetic look.

     Madison looked startled.  "R-Really?" she said, drying her eyes.  "You wouldn't mind being with... with a trainer like me?" She smiled, and when Amaura gave her a reassuring nod, she reached down to stroke Amaura's cheek.

     Amaura tensed as her hand came near, but she held still as Madison stroked the scales on her head.  It felt strange, but oddly pleasing.  She decided she could relax a little.

     Madison laughed.  "You're such a nice little pokémon" she said, smiling even wider.  The tears seemed to have already disappeared from her face.  "Let me introduce you to your new friends, and then maybe we can decide on a nickname for you."

     Amaura considered the last sentence as Madison went to get more spheres.  A nickname?  Amaura couldn't remember if she had been called anything in her past life, but she had grown rather attached to the name 'Amaura'. She wasn't sure she wanted another name, and she suspected that she would always think of herself as Amaura anyway.

"Here they are!" declared Madison, holding up four pokéballs.  She picked up the first one and tossed it on the ground.  A little fluffy brown creature with long ears and a cream tipped puffy tail appeared in a flash of light.

     "This is Alli, an Eevee," said Madison, reaching over to pet it.  Alli the Eevee seemed quite content with this and leaned into her trainer's hand.  "I'm sure you two will like each other!"

     Madison pulled out another pokéballs, and this time a butterfly with an odd wing pattern that appeared to be a sunrise over a ocean. It gave them a bit of a haughty look.

"Hello. I suppose your the new Pokémon we've been waiting for for so long," said the butterfly, giving Amaura a quick once over. Amaura managed a nervous smile, suppressing the feeling of being judged.

     "And this," said Madison, looking at the Pokémon with pride, "is my prized  Vivillon, Dawn.  She was a gift from my family when I started my journey, and I'll always treasure her."  As she fondly stroked Dawn, Alli the Eevee gave Dawn a jealous look and tried to push her out of the way to get more pets for herself.

     "Hey!" yelled Madison, "You already had your turn, Alli!"  She rolled her eyes as she pushed Alli away, muttering about how Eevee always did that kind of thing. Amaura wasn't certain, but she was pretty sure Dawn had the tiniest of smirks on her face.

     As Madison turned back to Vivillon, stroking it with one had and grabbing another pokéball with the other, Amaura spotted Alli giving Vivillon an absolutely savage look.

     Amaura was a little worried by the glare's intensity.  She leaned over to Alli.  "Hey, I'm sure she doesn't mean anything by it ... it's clear she loves you too."

     "Yeah, right," snapped Alli.  "I swear, ever since I got here, it's been 'Dawn this', and 'Vivillon that'."  She grimaced, and did a mock gag.  "I'm so sick of it!"

     Before Amaura could respond, Madison dropped another pokéball on the ground.  A blue frog hopped out and did a little pose.

     "And this little guy here is my very first Pokémon.  His name is Bubbles, and he's a Froakie."

Bubbles gave them a salute, and Amaura could barely keep herself from laughing at how silly he looked.

"Nice to meet you," he croaked loudly. "I hope in time we will become trusted acquaintances."

Amaura's lip twitched. "Um, back at you," she managed to say.

Alli rolled her eyes.

Madison deduced that they were finished introducing each other, so she brought out the last Pokémon. It was a little fiery bird, and it made a chirp as it popped out and spread its wings.

     "SQUEEEEEEE!!!!" it said, it's eyes widening as it rushed towards Amaura.  "Oooo, are you the fossil Pokémon?!" she chirped excitedly.  "You look so ... so ... PREHISTORIC!" she said, bouncing around Amaura excitedly and examining her.

     Amaura's cheeks flushed and she laughed at the bird's peppyness.  She wasn't sure how she felt about being called "prehistoric", but she decided to let it go.

     "Trixie!" said Madison, "Calm down for Arceus' sake!"  She gave the bird a little finger shake, but you could tell she was amused.

     "Anyways, this is Trixie the Fletchling.  I think you'll get to know her pretty well." 

     She paused as a loud noise came out of her bag. She reached into it to turn it off and then turned back to the Pokémon, who to Amaura's confusion, were cheering.

     "Alright guys!  Dinner time!"

     Amaura's confusion instantly cleared, and she happily joined the other Pokémon as they chowed down, each with their own customized bowl.

Written by the one and only SYLVEON!!

Edited by the one and only DEDENNE!! (I changed Ali to Alli... My role was so important. Praise me)