Chapter Fifteen - Off to Camelot [Part Four]

"But we can't," Gwendolyn tells Gaius, "It's forbidden. None of us are even witches or wizards."

"I'll try and make it work without," Gaius tells her sadly as he continues to stir the antidote. He glanced nervously at Margarette who looked slightly behind him at a glass vial, "Oh, I need some fresh water."

He held out the vial for Gwendolyn to take. She took the glass vial and walked out of the room to get some water. Once she's gone, Margarette stands up and takes the bowl from Gaius. She pulls out her wand and points it at the bowl before muttering a spell. Once she finishes the spell the potion is hissing and a bubbling green as she places it on the table for Gaius.

As soon as Margarette sits back down beside Merlin, Gwendolyn runs back into the room with the vial of water, "Thank you," he nods to her before pouring the water into the potion. Once the water's in, he mixes it once more before running over to Merlin, "Hold his nose."

Gwendolyn nods and pinches Merlin's nose closed as Gaius pours the potion into Merlin's mouth.

"Swallow, Merlin," he tells him gently, "Swallow it."

"He's stopped breathing," Gwendolyn noticed causing the entirety of the Great Hall to gasp in shock. The students of Hogwarts knew Merlin had survived, but watching him be ill then to stop breathing all together made them forget that this happened over a thousand years ago, "What's happening? Gaius?"

Margarette let out a choked sob and put her hand over her mouth as tears started to form in her eyes, "No." She leant forward and put her head against her son's chest, listening for his heart beat. When she didn't hear anything another, louder, sob broke through her body and tears feel freely down her face, "He's dead."

"He can't be," Gaius objected weakly, "It can't be. It was his destiny."

"It's my fault," Gwendolyn started, "If I had gotten here sooner- if I'd been quicker-"

"No, no," Gaius said as he pulled Gwendolyn into a hug. Margarette continued to clutch to Merlin's form like a life line as she sobbed in the death of her son, "It was me. I should have looked after him better. It's my fault."

"It was Kara," Margarette whispered out, "You couldn't have known this was to happen, Gaius. It was Kara's fault."

Gaius nodded as he held a sobbing Gwendolyn and gave her a kiss on the top of her head, "That's disgusting," a new voice said causing Margarette to gasp in surprise and hug his form tighter, "You should be ashamed of yourself. You're old enough to be her grandfather."

"Merlin!" Margarette cheered, "You're alive."

"No, I'm a ghost come back to haunt you," he joked as he returned his mother's hug.

They soon let go of each other and Margarette moved back to the end of his cot Gaius and Gwendolyn could give their hugs. Except, instead of a hug, Gwendolyn took his face in her hands and gave him a quick kiss on this lips.

"I'm sorry- I thought you were dead," she quickly apologized.

"It's fine," Merlin said after getting over the shock of it all, "It's more than fine."

"Do that when your mother isn't present, Merlin," Margarette scolded as she hit his leg.

"Eh, what happened," Merlin said, "The last thing I remember is drinking the wine."

Suddenly the image closed off and turned back into a wisp before it returned to its rightful place in the diary and Margarette's voice filled the Great Hall once more.

"I had an..........interesting time in Camelot an d I may visit again, only this time when Merlin's life isn't at stake. Though you did not see it, I did end up visiting Morgana for a short time before I had to depart back to Hogwarts.

Though in the images you saw, it did not look like it, I was in Camelot for several days. And thankfully during those several days, I did not encounter Uther. Until the next time I write my dear diary.

Sincerely,
Margarette Malachite."

The voice cut off and Dumbledore closed the diary, "Perfects, please lead your houses to the common rooms. We will continue this tomorrow evening after dinner."