II: The First Day

Chapter 2

This is not my bedroom.

Oh, right. I’m already in my aunt’s apartment. Stupid me.

The walls of my new room were painted white instead of my pale yellow walls. It had a vanity and chair at the other side of the bed and a bookshelf on the other. It had a few posters and paintings but that was all it was decorated with. The bedroom was simple, just the way I like it.

At least the bedroom was nice.

My eyes drifted to the big door that was covered with light blue curtains. The sun’s rays were shining through them and into my eyes, practically screaming at me to wake up. I groaned and buried my face back into my pillow. I just wanted to go back to sleep and pretend I wasn’t starting work today.

I will not step foot in that wretched place.

“Rise and shine, Riley!” I heard Stella scream after my door burst open. I heard her footsteps close to my bed. She started shaking me to get me to wake up. “You don’t want to be late for your first day.”

“I don’t want to.” I mumbled, wrapping duvet around me.

“Fine.” Stella huffed then I heard her stomp out the room.

She’s leaving me alone? Hoorah!

 “Wake up!” She screamed then I felt ice cold water splash onto my face. I sat up with a screech. I was greeted by a smirking Stella. The empty bottle of water she was holding was evidence that she did this to me.

 “What the hell was that?” I demanded, glaring at her.

“That, my best friend, was a new way to wake you up.” She told me, smiling triumphantly. “Come on and get in the shower. I’ll help you get ready.”

“I didn’t pack anything remember?” I smiled triumphantly. When we left home yesterday I just brought my backpack of essentials (iPod, ear pods, etc.) as an act of protest. My mother just rolled her eyes and said, “Fine then. You’ll regret this later.”

Of course I didn’t know what she meant by that.

Until Stella said, “Lucky for you, your mother packed in advanced and had it sent here.”

“My mom packed for me?” My jaw dropped.

Stella nodded in response. “You should be happy you have a stylist slash fashion designer mother. Most girls would.”

“Well, I’m not most girls.” I said scornfully. My mom’s idea of a casual outfit is a frilly sundress paired with heels, which probably is for most people. But not me. I’d rather wear sweats and flip flops everywhere I go if my mom doesn’t force me to at least wear a shirt and jeans.

“I know that hon.” She said, patting my back and pushing me to the bathroom at the same time. She shoved me in and closed the door, not giving me a chance to escape.

I smirked to myself and thought I’ll just sit on the toilet until she lets me out.

“Riley,” She shouted on the other side of the door. “If you don’t get showered, I’ll eat your not-so-secret stash of Pringles.”

“You wouldn’t,” I growled. I love Pringles as much as I love ice cream. Stella knows that and she also know that I’d skin her alive if she eats them. I know you’re probably thinking that I’m overreacting but don’t you have a favorite snack item that you stash in some place so no one can eat it but you?

“Oh,” I could almost see Stella comfortably leaning against the bathroom door smirking evilly. “I so would, Riles.”

And I know she would. She’s an evil, pringle eating, best friend pushing witch.