III: Granted Wishes

Chapter 3

It’s been two weeks since my first day and I’ve done nothing but get coffee for people, photocopy documents, and answer phones. It was boring as hell.

Eric and Missy even resorted to making paper airplanes in the office to keep from getting bored. Emma, being the preppy bookworm she is, just practiced for the SATs when nothing was assigned to us.

Missy flew all the way from Chicago for the internship. She was currently staying with Eric for the summer. They’ve known each other since they were little but got separated when Eric moved to New York with his parents. They’ve been visiting each other back and forth ever since.

Eric was gay, if it wasn’t obvious. It actually was if you just looked at his attire and the way he walked. I didn’t want to ask directly since I’m afraid he’d get offended or something. He was proud to be gay and was just one of the girls. He was hilarious and has a great sense of humor. It was tons of fun hanging out with him.

Emma said she was planning on going to NYU. She had an older sister who already graduated and was now a doctor. She also has younger brother who played baseball. Her parents were lawyers and they all lived on the Upper East Side. It sounds like she’s stuck up but she really isn’t.

We’ve all grown close over the past two weeks. We also know most of each other’s secrets. I even told them about Nick since I feel comfortable with them.

“He’s such a jerk.” Missy frowned, crossing her arms together.

“But he sounds so hot.” Eric sighed dreamily.

“Eric.” Emma scolded him. I just laughed it off.

I also told Stella all about them. She said she was happy that I made new friends. She, Nate and I met up last Friday to talk about our first week on the job. Nate said he was doing well. He even got to take pictures and stuff. Stella was also doing well. She told us that a bride threw a fit because she hated the wedding cake even though that was exactly what she requested.

“She’s a meticulous diva!” Stella complained, throwing her hands up in the air.

Today’s weather was fair, perfect to be outdoors. I would probably be in the park playing with a soccer ball but I’m stuck here in the stuffy office. Missy was straightening her hair with a pink straightening iron she brought with her from home. Emma was on her MacBook, typing away on the keyboard. Eric had dozed off on the couch in front of me. He was snoring pretty loudly. I put my feet on top of the coffee table and scrolled through my twitter feed.

“I wish something exciting would happen.” I grumbled. Missy and Emma nodded in agreement.

It was a slow day. Nobody seemed to be needing coffee this morning. Mara took over the phone answering and everybody was photocopying documents themselves. We had nothing to do.

A loud ringing sound made us jump from our seats. Eric woke up with a jolt too.

“Wha –?”  Eric mumbled then turned in the sofa, making him fall on the carpeted floor with a groan.

“Who’s phone is that?” Missy asked, turning off her styling iron.

“I think its Riley’s.” Emma said her attention back on her laptop.

“I got it.” I told them as I walked over to my desk. It had a pencil holder, two picture frames (one of me and my best friends and one of my family), my laptop, my coffee mug and the telephone.

I picked it up. “Hello, Riley Summers speaking.”

“Riley, dear!” I recognized my aunts overly happy tone. “Get your things ready. Tell the other interns too. We’re going to a wedding.”