Chapter 1

Target spotted!

Passing below the tree was the second prince and his close companions including the red headed castle herbalist, but there was one that held the hiders interest. She shifted on the branch she was perched on, weapon clenched in her left hand. An excited grin pulling at her face as she waited for the moment she had been preparing for for six years.

The group passed under the tree, and the hiding girl revealed herself. Jumping from her branch she readied her sword swinging it towards her target. As leaves scattered down along with her a battle cry erupted from her just as her sword collided with another.

Mitsuhide, her target, had barely managed to unsheathe his sword and block her attack with a steady hand. The girl could see the unwavering effort in his brown eyes as he fought back against her attack.

"Mitsuhide!" the red haired girl cried.

"Kiki take Zen and Shirayuki away," he grunted.

There was brief debate, but soon the other three started back towards the castle, yet just as the girl jumped back and swung for another blow something snagged her hood and yanked her backward. Stumbling to the ground Mitsuhide crashed his sword into hers disarming her with an unpleasant yelp. As she sat on the grass, hood still being held revealing her face, she glared up at Mitsuhide who's battle ready expression shifted into surprise and bewilderment.

"Kumiko?" he questioned.

"Brother," the girl hissed.

Before anyone could blink Zen, Shirayuki and Kiki were back at Mitsuhide's side with wide eyes. They stared from their tall friend to the girl with black hair that had a single silver lock along the right side of her face. The only resemblance between the two were the matching light brown eyes.

"A tiny Mitsuhide, how interesting," Obi chuckled. He was the one behind Kumiko holding her hoodie with an amused shine in his bright cat-like eyes.

Kumiko shot a glance over her shoulder at him only to click her tongue and return to leering at her older brother.

"Mitsuhide, you have a sister?" Shirayuki questioned. Turning to the prince she asked, "Zen, did you know?"

Shaking his head Zen replied, "I had no idea."

"I'm not surprised," Kumiko muttered. "He doesn't exactly like me."

"What?" Mitsuhide gasped. Dropping his sword he scrambled to explain; the truth to Kumiko, and what was happening to his friends. His hands flailed about as only half sentences left his mouth. "That's not it. . . You guys don't understand. . . I had a duty. . . Kumiko was only. . .I tried to. . ."

Not wanting to hear excuses Kumiko hopped to her feet and swiped at Obi's legs causing him to release her hood, which allowed her escape. Dodging around the guy who had interrupted her plan Kumiko took off across the courtyard jumping back into the trees to disappear from view.

"Master?" Obi inquired as he got back on his feet.

Zen was staring at Mitsuhide who was retrieving his sword and the one the girl left behind. His forehead was creased and his expression taut like piano wire. Obi followed his master's gaze and raised a brow at the aide.

"Mitsuhide?" Obi asked curiously.

With his own sword sheathed and the other tightly clenched in his hand the silvery-blue haired man glanced around at his companions with his mouth pressed into a thin line. "Let her go," was all her said.

Kiki, face unreadable as always, stepped over to Mitsuhide and punched him hard in the arm.

"Ouch! What-?" he groaned.