Chapter 8

The contest went on for three hours, and by the time the final rounds started Mitsuhide and Kumiko had yet to face off against one another. There were four people left, and two matches with Kumiko and Mitsuhide fighting different people. As she swung to disarm her opponent Kumiko contemplated throwing the match just so she wouldn't have to be near Mitsuhide, but her attack connected before she could make her decision. She won though it felt more like a loss.

Sure she had originally shown up so she could fight the tall brown eyed man, and prove she was fine without him, but now it felt like a cruel joke. So many people would be watching them, judging her whether she won or loss. Kumiko didn't want to make her closure a spectacle, but now it was.

Mitsuhide won his match, and now they were standing across from one another. Referee between them ordered their handshake which Kumiko hesitated to do. Swallowing her nerves she took Mitsuhide's offered hand.

As they shook Kumiko, under her breath, said, "Don't confuse this with respect."

As their hands parted Mitsuhide said, "I know."

"Begin!" the ref proclaimed.

Mitsuhide and Kumiko whipped out their swords pointing at one another. The two of them stood there for a long time just staring at each other waiting for their opponent to attack first. The crowd around them dead quiet as they eagerly waited for the battle to begin.

"Kumi-chan," Mitsuhide began.

That's all it took to send Kumiko into full attack mode. Both of her hands gripped the handle of her weapon as she swung at him a hiss of rage ripped out of her.

As their swords clashed Kumiko yelled, "You have no right to call me that!"

Pushing her back with a grunt Mitsuhide said, "I know I lost that right when I came to the castle."

"Same day I lost my brother," she growled.

Kumiko charged at Mitsuhide swinging and jabbing at him with all her strength. He easily deflected them as they danced around the ring.

"Kumi-chan I didn't break my promise," he fought.

Planting his foot Mitsuhide switched from defense to offense forcing Kumiko to follow his pace as their battle raged on. Kumiko gritting her teeth as she tried to remember her basic footwork so she wouldn't trip at the speed Mitsuhide was fighting.

"Tell that to that bastard Jin!" Kumiko screamed. Her lower lip was trembling and her eyes were shimmering with unshed tears. Face glowing red with anger and betrayal she added, "Everyday was a new hell."

"Then why did you stay?" he challenged. Hurt colored his face pale, and revenge burned in the brown eyes they shared.

"Because I was a hopelessly positive child that believed her hero would save her one day. But he ran away and never came back," she shot.

She dodged the swipe at her legs, kicking at Mitsuhide's wrist sending him stumbling backwards. As he regained his footing Kumiko took advantage of the split second opening to lunge and twist the blade of her weapon around his. With a swift yank Kumiko watched the handle slip out of Mitsuhide's grip, and a premature grin of victory slipped across her face.

Before the wooden sword was out of reach Mitsuhide grabbed it with his other hand halting Kumiko's win. As he pulled back to regain his height advantage he said, "I left my sword with you!"

Kumiko's gaze turned from a scowl to a dark unamused leer as she growled, "You abandoned it because you became too good for a simple guard's sword. Just because you work for a prince doesn't make you better than me."