Chapter 10

"Kumiko it's time to go!" Kazuki called from outside.

Kumiko had found herself taken in by the Lions of the Mountains just outside of Tanbarun about a month after she left Clarines. Kazuki had literally bumped into her in the forest, running right into her as she napped under a tree. After their meeting he took her to meet Mukaze who invited her to stay. She took it.

It had only been a few weeks since she started living there, but Kumiko didn't feel the need to hide in her hood like she used to do. She wore it down most days, the village members did not stare at her or glare. Kumiko felt like she might have found the place for herself.

"I'm coming!" she replied.

But there was something missing.

Kumiko ran her hands through her hair smoothing out the bedhead as she made her way downstairs where Kazuki was waiting with crossed arms and a tapping foot.

"What?" she questioned.

"Are you sure you're up for hunting today, you look pale," he said.

"I'm fine. It's just one of those days," she shrugged.

As they left Mukaze's house, where she was staying until she could get her own home, Kazuki said, "Is that a girl thing I don't understand?"

"Sure, let's go with that," Kumiko chuckled.

The two of them gathered their tools and supplies then headed out into the forest to hunt for their part of the village meat supply. Kazuki took to hunting dear and boar while Kumiko sat at the river's edge to fish. The checked in with one another every now and then until Kazuki killed a boar and took it back to the village while Kumiko continued to gather fish.

She was leaning up against a tree waiting for her line to move. Her head felt cloudy, sleep had been hard to come by in the past week. Her mind never quieted long enough for her to get any rest. A few hours here and there, but Kumiko couldn't figure out why. She was happy in the mountains, with the people in the village. Mukaze was a great man that gave her a place to belong to, so why did it feel like she wasn't settling in properly.

Kumiko was half asleep as she fished, and as a voice echoed through the trees she snapped awake. Her heart pounded from the fright while her eyes scanned the area around her. There was no change.

"Kazuki?" Kumiko called out. "Is that you? Are you going out hunting again?" she inquired.

There was no reply, which put Kumiko on high alert. Setting her fishing pole aside the woman got to her feet and put her left hand to her hip where the dagger Mukaze had given her was hidden. She slowly turned around looking for anything that was out of place, but she was alone. After a long break of silence Kumiko lowered her hand and turned back for her fishing pole.

Then there was a rustle, a blur of black and a scream flying out of Kumiko. As she reached for her blade a pair of hands stopped her, and a set of bright yellow eyes caught her attention.

"No, I'm done hunting," Obi stated.

Kumiko stared up at him and his crooked grin with wide eyes. She couldn't believe he was on the mountain let alone standing right in front of her. Maybe she was still asleep and she was having some freaky, yet great dream.

Kumiko opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Her arms dropped to her sides while Obi's hands left her. Swallowing her confusion she tried again, but same result.

"Cat got your tongue, Little Mitsuhide?" Obi teased.

Narrowing her gaze Kumiko shot, "It's Kumiko! KU-MI-KO, it's not that hard."

Obi chuckled, while she steamed.

"Good to see you too," he said.

Crossing her arms Kumiko took a step away from him, more annoyed than confused now. "Why are you here Obi? I know you haven't gone rogue," she said.

He crossed his arms behind his back as he began circling her with a growing smirk that made goosebumps rise up Kumiko's neck. She watched him closely as he looped around her at a slow casual pace.

"No I haven't," he nodded. "But I'm not here on business either."

Kumiko arched a brow at him as he stepped behind her. As he came back into view she questioned, "You said you were done hunting. What have you been hunting?"

Obi's grin faded as his gaze locked onto Kumiko's face. His yellow orbs intense yet calm as they made Kumiko's pulse race.

His expression answered the question.

Kumiko fidgeted where she stood, twisting her silver lock as she said, "Why?"

Pausing to stand directly in front of her Obi removed his hands from his back and folded them over his chest. Kumiko suddenly felt very small and like she was about to get a lecture.

"You see there was this little girl, kind of a witch with an attitude, and she left. Now I want to know why I only got a postscript in her farewell letter," he said.

Kumiko's fingers fell from her hair as her stomach dropped to the ground. She couldn't explain the feelings zipping through her body, or why she felt the need to start crying. Maybe her lack of sleep was finally getting to her, making her body act weirdly.

"Well," Kumiko spoke nervously. "I didn't have much to say in that letter," she explained.

"So I'm an alley cat?" Obi challenged.

"Are you not?" Kumiko said slightly bemused.

"Every black cat has their own witch, and I've come for mine," he stated.

A lump formed in her throat as a hope filled realization formed in the back of her mind. Kumiko knotted her fingers together as Obi took half a step closer, locking their gazes together while he uncrossed his arms.

"O-Obi?" she inquired.

"I'm not going to drag you back to the palace. I came for myself. I wanted my answers," he said gruffly. The sound sent a shiver down Kumiko's spine.

"Then you're done?" she questioned slightly disappointed.

Obi said nothing.

Kumiko said nothing.

But they didn't not do anything. Obi leaned down and pressed his mouth to hers in a soft kiss. Kumiko's fingers knotted in Obi's scarf while his arms encircled her shoulders. Their embrace didn't last long and when they broke apart Kumiko flushed a cherry pink.

"When do you head back?" she asked.

"Tomorrow," he replied.

"I can't go back," she said quietly. "Not yet."

"I know. Little Mitsuhide has her own path to find," he smirked.

Stomping her foot she shot, "It's Ku-,"

"Kumiko," Obi cut in. "I know, I know."

After patting her head Obi began making his way to the village, a smug hop in his steps. Kumiko glared after him despite the pleased smile pulling at her mouth.

Sitting back down to return to her fishing, happy with Obi's surprise visit and their shared feelings, Kumiko said, "Maybe I can bewitch people."

Snickering to herself she added, "I bewitched myself an alley cat. How appropriate."

"Kumiko, I'm back," Kazuki called.

"Hey Kazuki," she called back. "Can I share a story with you?"

"Sure. What's it about?" he asked joining her under the tree.

"A back alley witch who thought she needed to prove herself to a royal knight," she said.

THE END