Chapter 1

They shoved his face into a puddle. Ironic, considering how he loved to stay nice and clean. But he was shoved by a soldier, someone who was supposed to be helping rather than hurting. Government systems are corrupt, but seeing it first hand was something Y/N never experienced.

She stood behind a crate, barely as tall as it, watching the scene before her take place. Her whole body trembled as she gripped the edge of the wood in her small hands. Beads of sweat formed on her face as she held herself back from crying out. She wanted to do something, but one wrong move could jeopardize the people she came to know as family.

In the middle of the small crowd of soldiers, three people knelt. They wore standard clothes, especially in the Underground, and contraptions on their waists held up by belts that wrapped from their thighs up to their chests and shoulders. They also had metal handcuffs placed on their wrists, behind their backs.

On the side farthest from Y/N sat Furlan Church, a blond man who really only wanted his friends to be safe and happy in the harsh world they lived in.

In the middle was a young woman, Isabel Magnolia. She had red hair in pigtails and a fiery glare that could've scared little Y/N any day.

On the side nearest the young girl, was the man who brought her into their group. Levi, the one known as leader, and the big brother to the rest. Y/N didn't quite know if he allowed her to join the group out of pity or adoration, but she was safe and she wouldn't put up a fight with someone who saved her from the harsh conditions of the Underground.

She watched as Levi was pulled up from the puddle and the man in front of the group, who she suspected was their leader, knelt down in it.

"My name is Erwin Smith," he began after taking off the hood of his green cloak. "And yours is?" He asked.

"Levi," was the simple response he got in return.

"Levi," Y/N whimpered quietly. She had her back against the alleyway and was facing the group, still trembling when a hand grabbed her upper arm and pushed her forward. The small girl let out a shriek as she was dragged across the stone ground, toward the group. Tears pricked at the corners of her eyes, waiting to be released.

This gained the attention of the three in the middle. Furlan and Isabel's eyes widened in fear and their lips parted, wanting to make some sort of effort to stop it. Levi, on the other hand, shot Y/N a pointed look. Anyone else would see his resting expression of hatred, but the young girl knew better. He was worried, but he wasn't going to show that to Erwin or the other soldiers.

"Levi... why don't we make a deal?" Erwin offered as he stared down at the man kneeling in front of him. The height difference would have been funny if the situation had been less dire.

"A deal?" Asked Levi. He was suspicious of Erwin, that was for sure. What else would one expect from someone who grew up in a place that was so sketchy? Levi and the others have been through hell just by living in the dark city known as the Underground, it should be expected that he would be skeptical.

"I will let your crimes go unpunished and bring the girl to an orphanage on the surface. In return, lend me your strength," Erwin began, his blue eyes staring straight into Levi's. "Join the Survey Corps."

This caught the four of them by surprise and as young as she was, Y/N knew what Erwin was offering. He was offering freedom. He was offering a life beyond the dark stone encasing them. He was offering the chance to do something and be important. To be of some use rather than just rotting away down under the surface.