Chapter 6

Time stopped for no one and training continued onward. From running in the rainy forests and trekking through snow covered mountains to flying through the tops of trees with ODM gear. Training was brutal and some barely made the cut. However, watching their peers fail, only inspired others to work harder. Although some didn't need to try at all, they were talented, born to kill titans.

Gas released from her gear as Y/N flew forward, toward the wooden titan that stood ahead of her. With the press of her trigger, the hooks of her ODM gear shot forward and stabbed itself into the skin of the titan. Skilled fingers pressed on the second trigger and she released one last pump of gas to speed towards it. With an effortless swing of her swords, she sliced the nape of the titan's neck clean off. A perfect kill.

To the side, she heard Connie's loud voice through the thick of the forest. His shout directed to Jean. Y/N swung herself from the tree to tree, toward the shouts.

"You don't care if I steal your thunder, right?" Connie asked with a shout. He bounced from a few branches and up to the nape of the neck of another fake titan that Jean was making his way towards. Connie didn't even have time to swing his swords down before another cadet stole his thunder.

Y/N let out a chuckle.

Sasha let out a loud screech as she let herself fall, almost landing on the ground, only to pull herself back up into the air. A wide smile was plastered onto her face as she took credit for the kill with her excitement. Jean and Connie watched Sasha with wide eyes before Y/N flew past them and towards more wooden titans getting raised. They watched as she jumped from tree to tree, gaining height before falling straight down on one titan's neck to slice it. She then latched herself to the tree above a second titan and as she made her way up, sliced its neck.

"That's stealing thunder..." Jean sighed as the trio followed after Y/N, who sliced more fake necks than she could keep count of.

It truly is funny how irony works sometimes. How the world will turn on someone for saying or even thinking something. What can make a scenario even funnier is if it's deadly or lethal, or will put someone in mortal danger. Sometimes, it's their overconfidence that'll be someone's downfall.

Using ODM gear is simple, Y/N remembered thinking out loud to the rest of the group back when they were putting on their gear. Just take it slow and keep your eyes open to where you're aiming. Make sure you're hooking onto a stable branch, make sure your hook sticks before trying to move ahead.

Speeding through the tops of trees using ODM gear isn't hard if you know what you're doing. Y/N knew exactly what she was doing, at least, until a hook fell just under where she needed it to stay secure. She swung forward, paying no mind until she felt the sudden jerk of the hook falling out of the branch.

Freefalling in a giant forest surrounded by giant trees is not what Y/N expected to find herself doing during this training session. It really is funny how irony works.

"Y/N!" Sasha's voice sounded from not too far behind. The stress in her voice did little to help Y/N figure out a way to stabilize herself as she fell.

After a few seconds more of flailing, Y/N found herself diving towards the ground. Her eyes narrowed as she took a deep breath and held out her swords. She watched as the distance between her and the ground grew shorter before maneuvering herself to look upwards, towards the tops of the trees. With one last deep breath, she shot her hooks up to the branches overhead and felt herself smile as she saw them both attach to their respective branches. The ground was nearer and she felt it. Y/N felt herself relax before pressing the gas trigger.

"That's what Sasha did," Connie pointed out.

"But more lethal," Jean added as the three appeared by Y/N's side as she flew straight up into the air.