Chapter 4

The next morning the cadets stood in their formation just as the one before. They stood as strong and proud as they could. Commandant Shadis stood next to an apparatus that Y/N suspected was used to test balance to see if the cadets made a good fit for the ODM gear.

"It's aptitude test time, so listen up! There is no place for you here if you cannot perform! Fail and be shipped to the fields," he shouted and soon enough, the cadets were in groups around the few tall balance testers.

Y/N watched as Mikasa got set up in her harness. When they lifted her off the ground, she was completely steady. Connie, Sasha and Jean all had it down, too, but some better than others.

"Y/N," Armin called and gestured for her to get set up in a harness. She nodded and quickly stood in the middle of the apparatus and got hooked up. With a small thumbs up to the person rotating the lever, she began to move upwards into the air.

Her weight was held on by the few belts that wrapped around her thighs and torso. She was a few feet above the ground at this point. Whenever she felt her weight shift backwards, she quickly maneuvered herself to stay centered, and vice versa. It wasn't long before she got the gist of it and was hanging in the air like Mikasa had. Like a pro.

Eren, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky. He was hanging completely upside down in his spot. Once Y/N was lowered, she made her way to stand next to Armin and Mikasa, who were a part of the crowd.

"What is your major malfunction, Jaeger?" Shadis shouted. He was propped up on his knee to be leveled with Eren. "Straighten yourself up!" The crowd of cadets watching him began snickering and laughing at Eren's difficulty. Y/N watched as his eyes widened with panic as he hung there, upside down.

"Just remember the basics and you should be fine," Mikasa instructed. "No need to try any fancy maneuvers. Just focus on your balance. Then distribute your weight evenly between the belts on your waist and your legs."

She stood in front of Eren while Armin stood by the lever to raise him up. Y/N stood next to Mikasa. They were the only four at the training ground, trying to help Eren get his balance to continue training in the military.

Y/N was still mad at Eren about what happened the night prior, but before they returned to the training ground again, he pulled her aside to apologize. She assumed that he thought she wouldn't help him unless he apologized, but at least it was an apology.

"Loosen up your stance a little bit," Armin chimed in. "If I could do it, I know that you can!" The blond said with a smile.

"And don't stress out. The more you panic, the more you're bound to mess up, just relax," Y/N added, earning a glance from the boy in the middle before he turned to face Armin.

"Okay. A loose stance, but balanced." He took a deep breath. "Let's give it a shot, Armin."

Armin nodded and began turning the lever with both hands. He grunted with effort from the weight he had to push and pull in an attempt to get Eren into the air. The girls watched as the belts began to rise, then Eren's whole body. Before he got off the ground, however, Eren let out a loud shout as he fell forward. His head made a harsh impact with the ground before anyone could get to him to keep him steady.

"Eren!" Mikasa and Armin shouted simultaneously with worry. Armin quickly began to lower Eren and Mikasa rushed forward to get him unhooked from the belts

"Damn, now we have to take him to med." Y/N let out a sigh and crossed her arms. Mikasa and Armin turned to face Y/N, expressions of disbelief on their faces. It took her a second before realizing what she said. "Ah, shit, sorry," she apologized with wide eyes. She began to walk up to the two to help bring Eren to the medical bay.