Chapter 7

✖️ JAXON ✖️   

"Of course I'll go to the masquerade with you!"

I watched from afar as Kayla and Nick hugged, then proceeded to walk together. 

I felt myself get angry. I knew I shouldn't be - Kayla wasn't mine, she wasn't even CLOSE to being mine - but I was. If only I hadn't been so dumb and just been man enough to tell her that K was, in fact, for Kayla. For Kayla Carter. 

And how did she even know Nick?! I had NO idea that they were even friends, let alone close enough to go to the masquerade together! And of course, now Katherine would expect me to take her, that b*tch. 

"Jaxon," I heard a voice mutter from behind me. I turned and saw Katherine, standing with her hand against the locker beside me. 

'Speak of the devil and she shall appear,' I thought to myself. 

"So, you know, the masquerade is next Friday..." She traced her hand along my chest. "And I was wondering if you were thinking of taking me?" She gave me this look and winked. "Cuz that's what boyfriends are supposed to do, right?" 

Boyfriends? I never knew we were dating now. 

"I mean, you have a crush on me, and just to your luck, I want to be your girlfriend. So I guess that means we're dating." I rolled my eyes - subtly - and got back to packing my things. "So is that a yes? Cuz you know, there are MANY other guys who would want to go with me." 

"Yeah fine, whatever," I mumbled. I heard Katherine squeal. 

"Ok, so I'll text you ALL the details. Byeeeee!" And then she kissed me on the cheek and left. 

When I got outside, I saw Kayla in a group with all her friends. They all jumped up and down in unison, pointing at Nick and whispering. I rolled my eyes yet again.   

✖️ KAYLA ✖️     

"Eww but this one has this weird mesh layer. It bothers me," concluded Rose. 

It was that weekend, and we were dress shopping for the masquerade. All of us had dates except for Skylar. But she was content on going alone - she claimed that she would find her "sweetheart" there. 

Skylar then added, "Yep, that is gross. Skyline would never produce such a product. It would be a disgrace." We laughed and kept looking. 

It took 5 hours, 9 dress shops, and 2 mask shops, but we finally got what we were looking for. 

Skylar's dress was a sky/baby blue-ish color. It was longer than knee length but shorter than a full on gown. It was really modern and was tight fitting. Her mask was silver and blue, with blue stones at the top. 

Rose was wearing a gold floor length dress. It had lace overlays at the top, and the bottom was full on gold. It wasn't overly casual, and yet it wasn't the most formal thing ever. Which totally reflected her style. She wore it with a golden mask. 

Jaiden loved to take risks, so her dress was very risqué. It was cut SO low from the front, and was alost backless except for one strap. It was a beautiful black floor length dress though. Her mask was also black, and had that extra flare to it. 

Elena went for a classy look. She took a floor length black dress as well. However, in contrast to Jaidens, it wasn't overly-showing at all. It had sleeves that were *just* there and a built in shiny belt separated it from the skirt, which was tight but then got looser as you went down. It was perfectly fitting and looked perfect on her. It was accompanied by a black cutout mask with silver stones in it.