Prologue

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Meredith listened to the gentle drops of rain sneaking in from the leaking roof as it hit the ground. She smiled to herself as she recalled the evenings dance lessons. The others had left early because of the rain, she'd stayed behind to help Madame Lilac pack up, but secretly she just wanted to be alone, she imagined the peaceful walk home and smiled.

Madame Lilac had left a few minutes ago, entrusting the close of the small theatre to Meredith. The rain had finally let up completely, it was time to go.

She walked along the creek taking the shortcut home through the woods. She had signed up for autumn dance classes this year, Madame Lilac was a darling and always had something new up her sleeves to teach her students. Humming to herself, Meredith danced to the tune as she walked. It was getting dark, she'd spent some extra minutes practicing her new move after Madame Lilac left and now she wished she'd left with the others.

The others.

Meredith sighed as she thought of her friends. Margaret, Judy and Ailsa. The only true friends she had. She'd spent all her life in Framlingham, and her world was built around them. She smiled sadly as she thought of how heartbroken they'd be if she ever had the courage to tell them about her plans of leaving Europe for university. Especially Margaret, her best friend since they were toddlers. Poor Maggie. But now was not the time to be thinking about that.

She tugged at the sleeves of her cardigan. The wind was picking up and it was getting chilly. She thought of the warmth of her house and quickened her pace. Leaves crunched beneath her feet as she walked, the sound seemed unusually loud in the still night. It was really dark now, but she knew the path like the back of her hands, her mum would not be pleased to have her late, but she didn't want to think of that right now too.

She thought of Bernard and sighed. Too many decisions to make, too many hearts to break. Bernie loved her deeply, she loved him too, but she had to leave.

A twig snapped behind her, the sound pulled her from her thoughts and she turned quickly, her eyes scanning the area. There was no one behind her, no movements, no sounds. She shrugged and moved on.

A few minutes and I'll be home, she thought to herself and grabbed her satchel tighter.

Leaves rustled audibly behind her and her blood froze. It's probably the wind, just the wind. It has to be she thought. Her heart beat faster as she trudged on, walking as fast as she could and wishing she'd taken the longer and safer route.

"At least it wouldn't have been as creepy as this," she muttered quietly to herself.

She tripled her pace and walked intently towards home. She heard another twig snap and this time she automatically broke into a run, her heart pounding against her chest. Her breathe came faster, ignoring the branches scratching at her face as she ran.

Out of breath and panting hard, Meredith stopped and turned around, nothing. She let out a little laugh, shook her head and muttered to herself.

"Silly me". It was probably guilt that was making her jittery. She'd walked this woods hundreds of times alone, nothing had ever happened.

She turned around and was halfway through a step when something pulled at her hair, the force of it snapping her head backwards. She let out a scream and her hands instinctively flew to her head.

Meredith tried to twist around to free herself and see what had caught her hair. Turning around, her blood ran cold as what met her gaze was the dark form of a man in a black leather coat. His arm was raised high above his head, something metallic glittering in his hands in the pale moonlight.

Fear lodged in her heart as she realised too late, I should never have stopped running. Before she could register what was happening, his raised hand descended.

Meredith never completed her gasp as the blow hit her smack in the head, and everything went pitch black.

***

This is dedicated to @tymeka12 for being such a dedicated reader. Thank you so much.

Chapter 1 coming soon. Hope you loved it.

-Jeanne I. Danielle