Chapter 16

Our starry night covers fade away to sunrise sheets. They take away evening chills can shower us in warmth. It wakes me up with it's gentle touch. I turn to Marco, asleep and nestled against the pillow. Careful not to wake him up, I slip away and throw on a clean shirt.

"Mmmm. . . .Alek?" Groans Marco. He sits up and rubs his eyes.

"Over here. Good morning." I reply. From where I'm sitting, he looks like a little kid. Simple and content and full of hope.

"Throw me something to eat." He grabs his cane and draws it next to him.

I throw him an orange. "We're gonna need to clean our own clothes soon. I've got the last clean shirt."

"We work for a laundry service, we'll send 'em there next time payday comes around."

"I guess. I don't think we'll find a pond around here anytime soon."

We shove our things aside and head to work. The days blur so much I hardly know the days anymore. We follow our little cycle, at ease for this long awaited stability.

                                                                                                   ~

"Morning guys!" Calls Armelle. She follows behind us with a basket of laundry. "My parents will be stopping into your work space sometime today. They wanna meet you guys!"

We look at each other with an awkward glance. Marco certainly isn't a people person, and I'm one to spill out whatever's on my mind to anyone who'll listen. Together, we're a mess.

"Uhh, alright then. We can't wait." We mumble, taking our folding positions.

She leaves to tend to her own ordeals. One by one, we trudge through, shirt after faded shirt. My mind whirls madly like summer hurricanes, though my hands work as if nothing's wrong.

I can feel my heart, reeling in my chest as it tries to pump. I glance over to Marco. His face says nothing's wrong while his body shivers like it's the middle of January in here.

"Hey," I slip my hand in his, "it'll be fine. It's not like they're the royal family. Everything will go smoothly, and we can work here until everything settles down."
I can hear his shuddering breaths begin to calm. "Alright. We got this."

We give each other a smile and slip back into our work. Our hearts have settled and our minds are back into their normal pace. For one tiny moment, we are okay.

                                                                                                 ~

A clock strikes in the main room. We snap out of our routines and head for the break room.

"Armelle, are those the new ones?" Asks a voice from the room. We turn to each other as our stomachs flip.

"Yeah, they're coming now," answers Armelle.

We step into the room slowly. Near the table in the corner Armelle is there with an older man and woman. Everyone looks awfully excited.

Armelle turns to us. "Guys, these are my parents. They run the laundry mat." She turns to back to them. "Mom, Dad, these are the new guys. This one is Marco, and this one is Alek." She motions to us as she says our names.

Every inch of me stops. I want to scream, but my throat is a desert. I try to step away, but my legs are frozen icicles, stuck to the floor.

They step up to us with an outstretched hand each. "You can call us Stepan and Quorra. Lovely to meet you guys," their smiles match.

Marco is hesitant, but shakes their hands. "Thank you. We're so glad to have the job," He turns to me. "Alek, greet the nice people who gave us jobs."

I'm drowning in the middle of the room; I gasp for air but nothing happens. The room spins, running faster and faster in its circle.

"You alright kiddo?" Asks a voice, but I can't tell who.

My body feels light as clouds and heavy as bricks all at once. My mind keeps shouting over and over one thing as all the pieces of this hellish puzzle connect. Why I could recognize Armelle. Why every inch of this family fills me with a certain terror and hope that I could never figure out. Armelle, these people, I've known about them for ages and I was so close to fixing their world. If time could reverse I'd pay anything to do so if it meant what I could have done for these people. Nicoli, Armelle, Marco, everything's connected in the cycle or war. This cycle that can never be broken. A cycle that rips open wounds you've been hell bent on healing.

"Alek, what's wrong? Talk to me man!" Shouts what's most likely Marco.

My legs melt and I crumple to the ground. The light in my eyes fades into darkness as I shake hands with the ground.

                                                                                                       ~

Whispers. Faint ones, but I can make out what they're talking about.

"Do you think it was the chemicals?" A young woman asks.

"No, we've been breathing in stuff we shouldn't have for years!" Definitely Marco.

"Is there anyone you'd like us to call?" Another man, but older.

"No, thank you. All we've got is us."

"Well, you're welcome to stay as long as you need." The woman again.

I'm no longer in a muggy laundry mat, but a home. As my eyes begin to clear I can see the marks of faces all around me. It no longer smells of bleach, but of fresh air; most likely I'm in someone's house. Against my head is a pillow, tucked under. The walls have paint, faded as it may be, and old photos still hang. It's furnished and taken care of, as if it's been this way since they first moved in.

I look around the room. Marco's hand is in mine, his face taut with worry. Armelle is somewhere I can't see, perhaps still at work. Stepan sits across the room, wringing his hands together. I'm guessing Quorra is off somewhere else as well.

"Hey," I mumble. "What happened?"

Marco turns to me and grips my hand even tighter. "Jeez, Alek you scared me half to death!" Tears lie against the edges of his eyes. "You lost it and blacked out. Armelle brought you back to her family's place. She's in the kitchen, and Mrs. Quorra is closing up the store." He holds his face parallel to mine. "What happened?"

Armelle comes in with a glass of water. She hands it to me and takes a seat next to her father.

I take a sip and close my eyes. I have to be open and honest. There's a chance I could be wrong, and I don't wanna get our hopes up without confirming.

Slowly, I take in a deep breath and open my eyes. "When we first met Armelle, I felt as if I'd recognized her. Like we had met somewhere else before. I brushed it off for the time being. But the moment I saw Mr. Stepan and Mrs. Quorra, I realized why I had recognized them." I turn to Armelle and Stepan. "I don't want to bring up any bad memories, but Mr. Stepan, is Armelle your only child?"

His face slowly turns to sorrow. He stands up and grabs an photo off the wall. "No actually, we used to have a son. He would've been a little younger than you two. He was such a good kid. Couldn't hurt a fly." His voice chokes with tears.

Armelle continues for him. "In the midst of all the bombings, we...we lost him. We haven't seen him in years. I'd give anything just to know if he's still out there."

My heart falls into my stomach. My fears and hopes are coming true. "If you don't mind me asking, what was his name?"

"Nicoli."