Chapter 3

In truth, I know this place like the back of my hand. Meet-and-greet rooms are on this floor, so I hide behind a vitals cart. I can see their shoes. The shiny, black dress shoes of the mayor. The tall, red heels of the secretary. The worn out, frayed slipons of on the nurses. And the dusty, gray converse of the head nurse. They all file into Meet-and-Greet room 5. I see the nurse scan the hallway, then close the door tight. A wait a minute, then I creep along the floor, dragging my crutch behind me. I lean up against the door, and press my ear to it.

"Listen Harriet, I... this place... you... it's... nothing... town,"

"What are... saying sir?"

"I... saying... say goodbye... place. We... plans to turn this... wood and damaged... grand town hall.

"... dare you?!?! ... place is ... those orphans!!"
"Sit. . . Lillie"

"Look, I ... don't want to ... this place... crap. All ... this town worse. If ... build up ... this town, we ... it to.. beauty!"

"... not stand ... is!"

"What will ... all ... kids?"

"Oh ... be put ... homes. Or ... work ... old..."
"Most ... can't stand ... own! How do ... good homes, ... alone wor... ?!"

"... is none..."

"... it is! You ... mayor of ... ity!"
"... not sell ... build... money in the wor..."

"W... I build ... hospital? ... bigger ... better ... With ... best ... country?"

"... any child... ? ... out paying... ?"

"... hardly ... fair, doesn't?"

"... no way... hell"
It takes me a moment to put together what they said. Finally, I realize what they're saying. It hits me so hard I fall on my back. Losing this place would be like losing everything all over again. I would barely be able to take care of myself, let alone Nicoli and Marco. And what would happen to the other boys? And all those kids in R10 and R9. They'd be dead within the first day out there, maybe even the first few hours.

Footsteps remind me to hide. I can hear them shuffling, heading to the stairwell. Once they sound fade, I crutch as fast as I can back to my room. I throw the crutch over to the wall and jump into bed, breathless and tired. The boys crowd around my bed, eager to hear the news. I catch my breath and sit up. Nicoli and Dalton jump on my bed.
"So, what does the mayor want this time?" Demands Konrad.

"The mayor wants to tear this place down and build a town hall." I announce.

"So we're moving to a new building?" Asks Cavan innocently.

"No, " I admit sadly. "There will be a new hospital, but it will cost money to go. Orphans won't get to be taken care of there."

"So the mayor is splitting us to families and hospitals around the country?" Asks Stefan excitedly.

"No, we will dumped out onto the streets again. Maybe a few of us will get families, but I doubt even that." Tears drift down my cheeks. I don't want to leave.

"What about us?" Commands Marco. He yells in Greek, so I can tell he's pretty mad and. "Most of us barely understand English, let alone speak it!"

I forgot about that. While I can say a few things and I can read pretty well, I can barely or write anything unless I do it in Greek. Nicoli is fluent in English and Greek, but Marco can barely introduce himself in English, all he knows is Italian and Greek. Most everyone in here can speak either Greek, Russian, or Italian; Almost everyone here speaks a language other than English-another reason why most of us are here.

"What are we gonna do Alek?" Asks Dalton.

"I... I don't know." Fear and panic takes over my mind. I try to keep from freaking out completely, but it's tough. "We'll just have to stick together through it all, no matter what happens."
"But what about all the kids who can't?" Asks Nicoli.

"Well, we can take care of them." Offers Konrad. "And so can the boys and girls in R1 and R2. All of us who are strong enough can take care of the weak."

"We could start our own orphan center!" Pitches Jethro.

"Guys back into bed, I hear meal carts!" Yells Stefan.

Everyone scrambles off my bed and into their own. We all pretend to sleep or read, since by now it's sunset and supper is soon.

The doors swing open and in walk Lisell, Zayla, and Crissy with super karts. We all get up and stagger to our seats. We sit solemnly as they pass bowls down with what looks like beef soup. Crissy sings the prayer, but it gives a feeling of gloom. Once she finishes up, we grab our spoons. No one is scarfing it down or licking the bowl. I peep up at Lisell, her eyes are puffy and her nose is red and shiny. They must have been told the news by now. We eat supper slowly, and instead of watching a movie or having a Spit tournament, we all just slide into bed again and fall asleep. I guess Lisell notices.

"Now, I'm guessing you have been informed about what will happen." Announces Lisell "We have two weeks to get everyone well enough to leave or in the hands of good homes to pay for treatments. We have no choice." She quickly runs out with her super cart before she can begin crying.