II

// I S A B E L L A //

+

He reapproached the desk with the specific book due this specific week. His pointer finger and his thumb dropped the flat surface onto the desk from a few inches above causing a loud thud. I felt my eyebrows stitch together at the sudden sound as I slid the novel to me and scanned the bar code.

The device sounded in an assuring 'ding' as I turned to neatly place the book onto the small shelf and rolled it over closer to me, feeling his eyes drill holes through me.

As the recipe printed out of the boxlike printer, hiding beside the register, I tore it from the dispencer and placed it infront of him alongside a pen. "Sign, please." I murmur. He grunted and signed the slip messily, but so nicely at the same time. It looked identical to all the other recipes he messily signed. I noticed he wore multiple rings across each hand. His hands were massive and intimidating. He dropped the pen by the recipe when he finished and casually peers around the store, easily gazing over my head as I look down at my work.

I place the signed recipe in the basket and place the pen back into the crack between keyboard keys and look at him, forcing a smile, "Thanks.."

He hummed in response and returned to his usual corner of the library. I grew angrier off of cold stares over the rim of Harry's book throughout the day. I managed to keep myself busy although I couldn't help myself but to look over my shoulder just to see the book lazily shoot up over his hooded eyes as if I didn't notice.

I felt as if he thought I was stupid and I sure as hell wasn't. I wanted to know what I did to Harry. Nothing. I did nothing to him. I did my job every week and I managed to stay polite. Polite, enough, atleast.

Three o'clock rolled around and I gathered my things into my bag. I tossed my empty water bottle into the trash bin beside the door when I ran into what felt like a wall. I was knocked onto the ground, my bag breaking my fall as I cringe, looking up to see a dazed Harry.

What in the- A hand reached out for me to take and I sort of gazed up at him like a lost dog. I felt so little, for some reason. "Are you going to take it or not?" He scowled when I realized I was looking up at him stupidly while I hid in my thoughts.

I grunted in response and reached out. He leaned in slightly and our palms brushed. A weird feeling jolted through me at the exhilarating contact. He effortlessly pulled me to stand again. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. The corners of his lips turned to face the ceiling slightly, instead of the direction they usually pointed... Which was down.

Wait, wha- "Are you okay?" His head tilted slightly, questioningly. "Uh- um- y- yeah." I stammered feeling so stupid. I expected only an insult but instead I recieved another smile and remark. "Let me get that." He tosses a wad of paper in the trash that I didn't know he was holding then reached behind me to get my bag from the tile. "Oh, it's fine I'll just-" he cut me off once again, but still managed to smile. "I got it."

His voice was firm and all I could bring myself to do was nod and I dusted off my skirt. He'd turned to go out the door with my bags and I followed, walking beside him slowly, looking at my feet.

When we reached my car, I reached out for one of my bags and he handed it over to me. I placed it on the hood and dug out my keys, quickly. I felt his eyes wander me. I felt exposed and I wasn't sure why. I pressed unlock on the key fob. I opened the driver side and swung my purse onto the passenger side seat and turned to him. I let out another breath I didn't know I was holding and thanked him.

He insisted it was his fault, which it was, and introduced himself for some reason. 'I'm Harry', he said. I stiffled a laugh and replied, "I know." He pushed his fingers into his jean pockets and shrugged. "Thanks again." I smiled slightly and got in my car after he nodded and was already in the library.

The drive home was quick, my thoughts going a mile a minute. Confusion and relief filled my emotions and I was utterly surprised at Harry's reaction to me. It was his fault, but why was he nice about it?

Beats me how one can have such a strong mood swing.

I arrived home and Lexi texted me.
Lex: hey, wanna get lunch?
Me: sure. When?
Lex: now..?
Me: come pick me up..? :)
Lex: ugh, ok. :/
Me: oh hush :))

I laughed to myself as I fixed my appearance a bit. I wondered where I wanted to eat, knowing she would make me pick. She arrived a few minutes after and we went to Panera.

+

Short chapter but I hope you liked it :) I am not quite sure of my schedule right now but you will get updates often everyother week. On the other weeks, I will try my hardest to get another chapter written, but i do not want to rush this book. I want to take my time and make it good :))

-grey