Chapter 1: Who's That Girl?

Savannah was grinning from ear to ear, flustered with surprise, as she took a big breath. The fantastic news that unexpectedly slipped from her Mother's mouth caused her long, wavy chestnut fur to stand on end. Savannah's heart practically stopped and she clenched her teeth to prevent herself from hyperventilating and having multiple seizures of happiness. "Oh.. My.. Gosh..." She hesitated.
  "Mom, Dad, are you serious?" Savannah grinned suspiciously. "If this is a joke, it isn't funny."
  "Savannah, of course we're serious," her mother replies. "Why would we joke about something like this?"
  The fact hit Savannah like a sack of bricks. She nearly fell over as she gushed, "Oh my gosh! We're moving to California. I mean, how is this even possible?"
  Her mother explained, "Well, your father was offered the job as a sales representative in that area, and miraculously, this could lead to an even bigger promotion!"
  Savannah was beyond ecstatic. Moving to California isn't your casual Moving Day. You know, where you stay at a funky hotel between days, then get back on the road, stopping every hour at restaurants, gas stations and rest stops. This was California. Moving to California is like the final piece of a puzzle to officially complete your life. This would be nothing short of a major miracle. Savannah would have the time of her life.
  "Whoopee!" Savannah squealed in excitement. "When do we leave?"
  "Well, we already picked out a house," Her father explained, "so, as soon as we pack!"
  "That's great!" Savannah said. "What school will I be attending?"
  "Well, we're thinking about Orange County Day, since it is very academically based," her father informed. "That will be very beneficial for you."
  "That's the same school Brookie goes to!" Savannah said, remembering the wonderful, spectacular memories she'd had with her long lost BFF. Brooklyn Hayes was Savannah's BFFL (best friend for life). She was a beautiful blonde cat with multiple dresses and bows. She and Savannah had created the most magical, fun-filled friendship in the universe. Savannah was ecstatic to rejoin Brooke and become the great pals they once were. They hadn't seen each other in years.
  While Savvy and Brooke were in 7th Grade, Brooke was unfortunately moving to California. The two pals were heartbroken to see each other go. It was like this big, lovely heart, with Savvy on one side and Brooke on the other. The heart was tearing apart forever as Brooke transferred to California. The heart eventually dissolved and was long gone, but now, it would soon return. Savvy was more grateful than she had ever been. When Brooke was ready to go, the two friends shared a final goodbye before her transfer.
  "Brookie, are you sure you have to go?" Savvy pouted. "You should stay here in Montana with me!"
  "I'm so sorry, Sav. I wish I could!" Brooke sighed pitifully. "But I guess this is goodbye. I'm so upset! Savvy, you will not believe what school I'm going to. It's called Orange County Day, this uptight school. They actually had the nerve to put the 'day' in there, as if it's not already obvious that school is during the day."
  Savannah scrunches up her nose as she croaks, "Orange County Day? That's abbreviated to OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Or, in this case, obsessively and compulsively uptight."
  Brooke giggled, "You got that right! I'm not going to fit in, Sav."
  Savannah's eyes nearly popped out of their sockets as she gaped, "Brookie, you'll fit right in! With your gorgeous and majestic blonde fur, anything is possible! Plus, you're the nicest person I know! You'll fit in great!"
  "You really think so!" Brooke swooned. As they shared their final goodbyes, Brooke's mother called for her daughter. The two girls teared up as Brooke took small, sorrowful steps to her Mother's van, where she leaped in and waved goodbye to Savannah as they drove off into the distance.

  "Uh, Savannah," her mother said quietly. Immediately, Savannah snapped out of her flashback and was brought back to the conversation her parents were having with her. "I thought you said Brooke wasn't returning any of your calls, or replying to your emails."
  "Um, mom! Brooke and I are BFFLs," Savannah insisted. "Maybe she's going through a rough time, or her phone or computer broke, or... both..." Her voice drifted off as the reality began to sink in. It was true, Brooke hadn't returned any of her calls. It always, always, always went straight to voicemail. But something deep down in Savannah's gut was screaming that there must've been a reason, and that reason was not that Brooke was ignoring her, as her Mother thought. "Savannah, don't you find that a bit odd?" Her mother disagreed with concern.
  "Mom, trust me! Nothing can split Brookie and I apart," Savannah denied.
  "Uh, okay," Her mother nervously gulped.
"This is going to be the start of my new life," Savannah beamed proudly in confidence.
"New life?" Her mother questioned. "Since when do new lives start at sixteen?"
Savannah rolled her eyes in disbelief as she grinned, "Since always, Mom! And it's going to be amazing."