Chapter 6: Moments of Reflection

"This is going to be amazing," Lina giggled excitedly as her orange collar jingled.
"Guys," Savannah smiled nervously, "I don't even know if Sage likes me. I'm not so sure about this."
"Sure," Genny smirked sarcastically. Suddenly, the bell rang and everyone in the hallways began sprinting in all different directions, filing into classrooms.
"Good luck, Savannah," Lina smiled. "Bye, girls." With that, she ran off to class as Genny and Savvy skipped to English. As they entered the room, Genny could hardly contain her excitement as her cheeks turned tomato red.
"Go! Say something!" She squealed uncontrollably to Sav.
"Okay, okay," Savannah laughed. "I know!"
As Genny walked to her desk in the back of the class, Savannah gave Sage a goofy grin and said, "Hey, Sage."
"Oh," He giggled nervously as he eyed Savannah and her fluffy fur with a goofy grin on his face. "Hey, Savannah. Did that ink come off alright?"
"Yeah, thankfully," She chuckled as she took her seat across from Sage. As the gorgeous collie turned his attention back to Mr. Burke who was organizing papers on his desk, Savannah sighed deeply, not knowing what to do. What was she supposed to do? What were the odds of this plan even working? There was no way Sage would cheat on Brooke. He's too sweet for that!
Still having doubts, Savannah tried flirting with him once more. She knew her friends were counting on her, and she was not willing to let them down. "So, Sage, how are you?" She asked.
"Uh, pretty good," Sage replied, staring at Savannah's big, giant, irresistible eyes. "How 'bout you?"
"Um, pretty good," Savannah giggled sheepishly. "What am I doing?" She muttered to herself.
  "Attention, class," Mr. Burke announced, "we will be working on a project. I am allowing you to pick your own partners this time."
  'Ask him,' Savannah thought, looking over at Sage. 'Ask him to be your partner! Hurry!'
  "Hey, uh, Sage," Savannah said. "Partner?"
  "Oh, sure!" Sage chuckled as a bulldog behind him guffawed, "Yo, Sage! What up, dawg? Partner?"
  As Sage turned around, his glowing fur blew in the air in slow motion, and his crystal blue eyes shined as Savannah watched the collie open his mouth to speak.
  "Sorry, dude," he apologized. "I already have a partner."
  He pointed to Savannah as she smiled. The bulldog glanced at her for a split second as Savannah waved at him flirtatiously, flashing a cute smile.
  "Man, she's pretty fine!" The bulldog chuckled as Mr. Burke grabbed the class's attention with a simple clap of his paws.
  "Class, class, pay attention. I want work done here. Don't make me regret my decision."
  As Sage and Savannah grinned at each other, Mr. Burke raised his voice. "You may come up to grab the criteria for the project. You may begin after you are finished reading it."
  "Sage, do you want me to grab us one?" Savannah offered as she stared at Sage, longing for his answer.
  "Sure," Sage grinned. Savannah dashed to the front of the class, being the first to grab the criteria. Her heart skipped a beat as she planted her behind in her seat as Sage walked over and sat beside her.
  Behind the two lovely canines was Rachel, raging her head off as her partner, a purple rabbit with long ears, sat there awkwardly.
  "Hey, can you start working?" Rachel asked nicely. "I need to text someone real quick."
  The bunny glared at Rachel for what seemed like an eternity, appalled. 'Who does she think I am?' The bunny thought to herself angrily. 'What, does she think I'm some sort of animal? She think I'm stupid? She think I be crazy?'
  Despite the rabbit's fury, she accepted Rachel's suggestion and got to work as Rachel snatched her BlackBerry and began tapping away.
  'Omg! Savannah asked Sage to be her partner AND HE SAID YES!!!!!!!!' She texted to Brooke.
  "Um, are you done yet?" The bunny asked impatiently.
  "Um, no!" Rachel snapped as she resumed texting, tapping her screen violently.
  "Ugh!" The bunny grumbled as Rachel continued.
  'What!? That fat loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' Brooke texted back furiously. Rachel wasn't sure what to do. She was afraid that Sage would pick Savannah over Brooke and everyone would like Sav instead of the real Queen Bee. Then, if Rachel didn't rescue Brooke from getting her reputation demolished, she would get dealt with and kicked off of The Barbie Dolls!
  'What should we do!' Rachel texted.
  'IDK!!!!!!!!!!!!!' Brooke screeched.
  "So, it says here," Savannah began, speaking to Sage, "that each of us needs to create a poem, then give it to our partner to analyze it."
  "Oh," Sage blushed profusely. "I'm not very good at poetry."
  "That's okay," Savannah giggled, "neither am I."
  The two new friends giggled as Rachel just glared malevolently at the back of Savannah's head, wishing she would just disappear. But that moment never came.
  "Say, this might take a while to finish," Savannah pointed out. "We only have a week until it's due."
  "Yeah, we don't have much time," Sage sighed pitifully, pondering what to do.
  "Hey, you could come to my house to work on it!" Savannah beamed. She was gratefully glad she'd come up with this idea. Now, she can help to develop their relationship! Her friends would be so proud of her, and she would successfully overthrow Brooke.
  "Um, okay!" Sage chuckled. "Sounds good."