3

They walked away from class, laughing and joking. I stared after Wang Junkai. There was no trace of the boy who just screamed and cried in the hallway an hour ago. I shook my head. I couldn't figure him out.

      I walked out carrying my binder in my arms. Emily walked out as well, but she would avert her eyes from mine whenever our eyes met . It feels like the whole world is against me, and I don't even know why.  

     Lunch. I purposefully pulled Emily to a table near Junkai and the crew's. It was at a place where I was close enough to see them and hear them, but where they wouldn't be able to see me. I cackled evilly. 

    "What are we doing?" Emily asked. There's definitely something wrong with her today. I turned around to see her looking at me with tired eyes. "Why do we have to sit here?" She was exasperated. 

    No way. She didn't want to sit near Junkai? "I thought--" I began. 

     "You thought what?" she snapped. "What? That I didn't see you two in the hallway this morning?" My mouth dropped. "You and Junkai. Why didn't you tell me? I could've understood, you know, and backed off! Why did you have to keep it from me?" 

     "Emmy-- it's all just a misunderstanding! It was an accident!" 

      "Accident?" Emily seemed so frustrated. "Stop lying to me, Fiona." she exclaimed. 

      From our surroundings, everyone was eavesdropping, even Roy and Jackson had turned around to look. Only Junkai remained at his seat eating. 

      "Why don't we go to the bathroom to talk?" I whispered to her. She sighed. 

       So without further ado, I pulled her along with me, running as fast as I could until we reached the girl's bathroom. There, I turned her around to look at me. 

        "Emily. It was an accident, okay? You have to believe me. " She turned away from me, getting ready to leave. 

         I dragged her back again. "I was.  . . I just pulled him, once, so I could tell him something. Then it just happened. " Emily's face scrunched up. 

        "Really?" 

        "Of course!"

         Emily searched my eyes.  "I believe you. So, does that mean you don't like Junkai?" she asked. 

       "Of course not!" I blurted. I mean, I couldn't possibly like Junkai, especially at this moment. I'm just confused. Yes. That's it. 

       Emily sighed. "Thank goodness. And here I thought we would like the same person. That would be so hard." she said. 

      We both sat down on the bathroom floor. Emily sighed again. "Anyway, enough about Junkai. Who do you like?" 

      I shook my head. "Nope." 

      She shifted. "No way. You've got to like someone." She nudged me. "Com'on, give me something." 

      "Err. . .  I don't know. Maybe Jackson?" Emily jumped up.

     "The new boy?!" 

      "What? Got a problem with that?" I sputtered. 

      "No. . . " She smiled. "No wonder you wanted to sit near their table so much."  Her eyes squinted and the corners of her mouth pulled to her cheeks. She laughed.

       Afterwards we headed back to lunch. It was almost over. Once we sat down. Emily suddenly jumped up again. 

     "Whaa? You're going to leave me?" I was outraged.