Day 322: Debt

Day 322: Debt 

[ Electra Walsh | Third Person | Present ]

     “Go! Go! Go!”

     Over the groans and moans of the dead, Electra sprinted across the prison gate with the end of the makeshift strips of spikes that she and Michonne had spent the early morning making out of shards of broken glass, nails, spikes, broken arrow heads and whatever they could get their hands on.

     “Drop it!”

     At the sound of Glenn’s words Electra carefully placed down the end of the spike strips onto the floor. Stretching the strip to the limit, Electra then produced the stake from her holster and hammered it into place with the handle of her knife.

     “Done?”

      Slowly, Electra straightened back up and turned towards Glenn, using her hand to shield her eyes from the sun as she glanced at him. She smiled at him before turning back to the new safety feature they had installed at the prison, she knew it wasn’t much but it was something.

      “Yup.”

     “Alright!” Glenn cheered, nearly screaming it into the abyss as he quickly met her in the middle and patter her on the back excitedly. He span back on his heel and glanced at the fence with a grin spread across his face before Electra punched him on the arm.

     “Keep your damn voice down!” Electra hissed at him harshly causing Glenn to awkwardly look down and bite his lip. “Idiot.” She said with affection causing Glenn to glance back up at her but not before receiving a slap across the back of his head.

      “Come on.” Glenn drawled. “You can’t pretend you’re not the slightest bit happy about that.” He said enthusiastically. “I know it’s not much but it’s something to keep them from rolling in another bread truck full of walkers. Another thing to keep us safe, you know?”

      Glenn stopped suddenly causing Electra to turn on her heel and face him with her hands on her hips.

     “I don’t want a war, El.”

     She glanced down to the ground before looking up at him, barely able to contain her guilt and frustration for not being honest with him. For not being able to stop a war in a way which was their way rather than people like The Governor’s. She glanced up at him.

      “Yeah.”

      With an exhale and a pat of his back, they continued to walk back to the main prison block in silence. It was the first time she saw Daryl and couldn’t bring herself to do anything but frown. She knew the verdict on the Michonne thing and she knew he knew the verdict on the Michonne thing.

     “What have you two been up to?”

     “Well….” Glenn glanced to Electra who made no inclination of speaking as she folded her arms over her chest. “Urm…..” he looked back to Rick awkwardly but enthusiastically. “We were setting up spike strips in front of the gate, that way if they try to drive up to the gate again, maybe some blown tires will stop them.

     “That’s a good idea.”

     “Yeah- it was Michonne’s.” Electra said too quickly in response to Rick causing Rick to look from Glenn to Electra who’s facial expression was unreadable but eyes were impossible not to read. They stayed like that until Michonne came up behind Electra and Glenn.

     “We don’t have to win.” Michonne explained her theory. “We just have to make their getting at us more trouble than it’s worth.”