Instinct

A foxes natural instinct is much like a cat and much like a dog. Once "Domesticated" They protect those they care about. Which can also happen in the wild. (Inspired by an AU on Tumblr.)

---------------------------------

Judy's POV

I've recorded everything she has said. Hopefully we can get out of here as soon as possible. 
"Oh it's no you who I want to kill...it's more of who Nick want's to kill." Dawn Bellwether replied. 
Confusion spread across my features. What does she mean? I looked at Nick, and as I did we both realised. She was going to shoot him. It just dawned to me. We could of put those blueberries into the gun. I really am a dumb bunny.
"Nick Move!" I yelled, pushing him out of the way. 
"Too late bunny!" Dawn Bellwether exclaimed, laughing as she shot the Night Howler in our general direction. It hit Nick's neck as I tried to push him out of the way.
Almost immediately, Nick curled into the fetal position, trying to control himself.
"Nick-" I yelled trying to crawl to him but he immediately groaned out a response.
"Judy run. Find a way out of here!"
But I couldn't, there was no way out. My leg was injured and even if I did get out I wouldn't have enough time. I tried looking for a way though, hoping and praying.
"Bye, Bye Bunny." Dawn Bellwether clapped, as if she was watching a show.
As soon as those words were spoken, I heard a terrifying growl. I froze, slowly moving my head into Nick's general direction. He was squirming, growling as if he was in pain. I wanted to help him, I really did. It just pained me to see him struggling, he didn't deserve this!
I then flinched. Nick snapped his head into my direction. His green eyes showed rage, his pupils were dilated, teeth bearing and claws extending and retracting, allowing all four of his paws to dig into the ground. So when he started to move closer to me, growling lowly I stumbled backwards, near tears.
"Ni-Nick, It's me Judy, We were going to be partners-"
He did a low yet loud bark, interrupting me. I couldn't help but let out a small scream, falling backwards. That's when he pounced, I screamed, expecting some sort of painful impact.

There was an impact, a collision, but no pain. I then heard a slight whimper, or a whine? I can't really tell at this point in time. Opening my eyes took some effort, I was afraid of what I might see. So when I did open my eyes, I was shocked. 

I was pinned to the ground by nick, but not in a threatened or forceful matter. In fact he was just looking at me, with curious yet almost puppy dog like eyes.
"What the name of mutton chops is happening? Kill her!" Dawn Bellwether screamed in frustration. 

Nick then snapped his head in her general direction, growling once again. I tried sitting up but Nick just ended up wrapping his tail around my torso. A vocal, yet vicious bark followed, allowing Dawn Bellwether to flinch.
"You have got to be joking!" She screamed. "A vicious predator protecting prey. How does this even-" 

But before she could finish her sentence, Nick ran forward and attempted to jump and climb out of the exhibit we were in. Of course he failed but Dawn Bellwether screamed, falling backwards. Then yelling in frustrating she claimed.
"Just because some stupid fox won't kill you does mean another predator won't!"
So you can imagine my satisfaction when I saw half of ZPD behind her, glaring daggers into her very being.
"Mayor Bellwether. You are under arrest." Officer Higgins began. "You have the right to remain silent. Whatever you say will and can be used against you." He finished, handcuffing her in the process.
"Oh crap. Hopps!" I heard Cheif Bogo yell. Concern filling his voice once he saw Nick in the exhibit with me, leg injured. He tried getting someone down to get me but Nick ended up standing over me, growling and barking at anyone who got close.
"No don't! He doesn't seem to want to hurt me but he will hurt you! I'm fine. This injury was from snagging it on an exhibit."
Everyone seemed to relax at my words.

Two officers ended up escorting Mayor Bellwether to jail. The other officers offered to tranquilize Nick so they could get me out but I ended up just asking them to get a ladder. Because I had a feeling Nick would just stay at my side with no trouble.
And I was right. Once I made the slow ascent up the ladder, Nick followed suit, climbing up at an alarming speed, causing even some of our bigger predator officers to flinch back, not wanting to go near. So it was no problem to escort Nick to the ambulance, but we did have to sedate him once we were in there because he stopped wrapping his tail around me once we were in the ambulance. I had to hold him down on the hospital bed until they gassed him.

So here I am, at the hospital with Nick. it's been about two days and he still hasn't woken, but this was normal with everyone's recovery rate. Some took a week, some a few hours and others a few days. So I decided to take it upon myself to do some research on the foxes history and natural instincts. I was never good at Predatorial History class. And the research came with the answers I needed. Foxes had cat like behavior and traits, such as teeth and eyesight, although they clearly relate to the dog and wolf family. I also found out that foxes could adapt to most habitats and only really ate small prey, but their diet was flexible. But this confused me for a bit, because I am considered 'small prey'. But I thought about their close relations to the dog and wolf family. And it is said if domesticated in certain environments, they tend to protect those they see as friends, or equals. Prey or Predator.

So when Nick woke up, he was obviously very confused. He could remember a thing. It was quite amusing really. So when he did realise what happened, he freaked out. Asking if he hurt me to which I merely shook my head at.
"But how? You're injured and there was no way you could have-" 
I laughed. 
"This isn't funny Carrots!" He almost yelled.
I just continued laughing.
"Nick, the first thing you did was pounce on me and look at me like a new born puppy."
Nick was obviously still very confused.
"Well you see. Foxes are very much related to the dog and wolf family. Wolves and Dogs have been known to be domesticated, predator or prey, they will protect those they consider friends, equals."
It took Nick a few minutes to get his head around it.
"Also, you have been lying to me. Foxes are more of a family species than rabbit's are." I laughed. And it was true. Both the dog (Male) and vixen (female) take a massive role in family lives. The fox stereotype is so distorted.
He just glared at me.
"Oh ha, ha. Laugh at me all you want. I am just glad you weren't hurt. Just can't believe how lucky we are." he sighed
"I can't either. I really did think I was going to die for a second." Nick's ear's drooped. "But as soon as Bellwether did anything treating, weather it be verbally or physically. You refused to leave my side. So don't worry. You just need to rest."

Sometimes our natural instincts that we evolved from. Do come in handy.

___________________________________

I feel like this was a Environmental Science lesson or something.

I ACTUALLY DID RESEARCH FOR THIS SH*T.

I feel smart.

I hope you guys enjoyed it!

-ADO