Chapter Three - ✿ Starting The Basics ✿

"HEY!" a thundering voice yelled. I just about jumped out of my skin when I heard the exploding voice. I felt as if I could have had fur standing straight up, if I had had any. "HEY THERE! RISE AND SHINE!"

     My head pounded, like it did before. When I opened my eyes with a groan, I saw Loudred, but not Kip or Hex. They must have timed it so they didn't get this wake up call, but we did, as a joke.

     Pika was in no better condition than I was. He groaned, too, as his eyes fought themselves open.

     "Why are you still ASLEEP?!" Loudred thundered again, anger now in his voice. Only now? "WAKE UP!"

     Again, we groaned. "My poor ears," Pika croaked.

    "Come on! Snap OUT of it!" he called. Lowering his voice to a normal level, he told us he was a fellow apprentice. He also warned us not to miss the morning 'briefing,' and whatever that was going to be, I had no idea. "Guildmaster Wigglytuff has got a BIG temper. If you make him lose it... YOWEE! That would be one scary scene. I've got goosebumps just thunking about it. YEESH! So ANYWAY... I'm not about to get in trouble because you rookies got up LATE! SO GET IN GEAR!"

     Finally, he left.

     I was getting myself up, grabbing my battered bag and Pika doing likewise with the new one. "My ears are still ringing, Pearl!" he gasped.

     "Mine, too," I said. "But you heard him. We should get a move on."

     "Right," he said, still tired and shocked. "Let's go."

     When we got out, I saw there were two lines of Pokémon. The first row had Croagunk, Chimecho, Bidoof, Sunflora, and Hex, while the second had Dugtrio, Corpinch, Loudred, Diglet, and Kip. I went next to Hex and Pika went next to Kip.

     "You're LATE, rookies!" Loudred called.

     "Hush!" Chatot ordered, not looking too thrilled at the interruption. "You're voice is ridiculously loud!"

     I had to stifle a laugh. Loudred grunted in reply.

     Chatot scanned the two lines, counting in his head. "Everyone seems to be present. Very well. ♪ Let's conduct our morning address." Facing the Guildmaster's door, Chatot called for Wigglytuff. "Guildmaster! ♪ The Guild is in full attendance! ♪"

     The door was bust open, and Wigglytuff walked out. "Thank you, Guildmaster! ♪ Please address the crew."

     The request was met by soft snoring and silence. The apprentices started to murmur to each other. I heard something about the Guildmaster being asleep with his eyes open.

     "Thank you, sir!" Chatot, I can't blame him, was having a hard time hiding the fact that Wigglytuff was asleep. "We all value your... words of wisdom! ♪" He turned to us. "Okay, Guild members! ♪ Take our Guildmaster's words of wisdom to heart! ♪ Finally, let's not forget our morning cheers! All together now!"

     I rolled my eyes. Morning cheers? As in every single morning? I kept in a sigh.

     "ONE!" Every Pokémon called out. "DON'T SHIRK WORK! TWO! RUN AWAY AND PAY! THREE! SMILES GO FOR MILES!"

     I was thankful it was short. The first two sounded more like rules than cheers. The last one fit the bill, though.