3. Prom Talk

Chapter 3

Prom Talk

Sunlight blasted through my glass walls the next morning. That was one of the best things about my bedroom. One wall was completely made of glass, with curtains that could cover it up any time I wanted to. I mostly kept them open.

I could hear pots and pans clanging in the kitchen. The smell of coffee wafted up my nose. My stepmom and Dad were talking in the kitchen. Bobby and Matthew were most likely still asleep. They wouldn't have to wake up for another hour.

I got out of bed, brushed my teeth, and washed my face. I quickly put on my black and white patterned top and high-waisted jeans with a statement necklace. I didn't know what had gotten into me, but I needed to look good today. Maybe Percy might ask me to prom.

Why am I being such a girl?

I shook my head and shrugged off the thought. Whatever, I had more important things to stress about than dumb Percy and dumb prom.

When I came out of my room, Lacy was in light washed denim overall shorts and a striped shirt, playing on her iPad in the family room. Piper was already sitting on a spinny black leather chair at the kitchen island, eating a yogurt parfait and drinking a pink smoothie. She was wearing my light pinkish orange tank and jean shorts. Or maybe they were hers. I couldn't tell. I didn't think I've ever bought a tank like that.

"What is Lacy doing up so early?" I asked Piper as my stepmom handed me a yogurt parfait. It was topped with raspberries and granola.

"She woke up when I woke up," Piper explained.

My stepmom handed me a pink smoothie, just like Piper's.

"What flavor is this?" I asked.

"Well," she said, "I put in strawberries, blueberries, a banana, vanilla yogurt, orange juice, and pineapple juice."

I walked over to sit with Piper. "Sounds good."

We ate our parfaits and smoothies and talked a little about prom and Tristan going to Greece. We finished our breakfast in about ten minutes and went downstairs to the front door.

Piper slipped on brown sandals. "We need to stop by my house to get my backpack."

"Got it," I said, putting on my white Converse.

I felt her staring at me.

"What?" I asked, pulling on my black backpack.

"Your hair," she said, her eyes narrowing. "You put your hair down. And it looks...brushed." She let out a dramatic gasp and reached out to touch my necklace. "And what's this I see? A necklace? On Annabeth Chase? High-waisted jeans-" She grabbed my shoulders and shook me. "Who are you and what have you done to my best friend?"

I walked her hands away. "Hey, relax. I'm just feeling a little, you know, fancy."

She didn't look convinced.

"Annabeth Chase does what Annabeth Chase wants, remember?" I threw in.

She still looked unconvinced. "Whatever you say, Annabeth Chase."

I drove Piper to her house to get her backpack. Aphrodite gave us quick kisses, and Tristan was still asleep when we got there. So we just left, and Piper drove us to school.

...

The catcalls had been following me the whole day, so I was starting to wonder if it was a bad idea to wear an outfit that I would usually not feel comfortable in. For goodness sake, I was even wearing my baseball cap to make everything better.