Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

II. Childhood Friends

The rich town of Wickhurst began its day just like any other. Servants hurried down the streets to procure necessary things, shop owners opened their shops and exchanged gossips with the servants who then went home to deliver a slightly unique version of the story to the scullery maids and whoever else would listen. The scullery maids then told the chambermaids who told their mistresses, who then told their husbands, sisters, and whoever else would listen.

That very morning, from the time Wickhurst woke up to the moment breakfast was served and the fresh copy of The Town Herald was laid on the table, everyone around the table had an inkling of its contents.

The stories delivered by everyone were all the same: The Everard Engagement Ball and Lady Alice Everard, by far the strangest mother anyone in Wickhurst had seen, was an ecstatic host.

One would think she would be the first to throw Agatha Blair out of the estate, but no! She welcomed the chit with open arms and planned a large engagement ball for the woman and Benedict, inviting not just the richest people in Wickhurst but also the sought-after personalities from other towns.

"But then we should know better. Alice Everard had always been different," whispered the mothers to their daughters and husbands. "Them Everards are lucky they are rich."

"If the Haverstons or the Theobalds did not come, these self-absorbed, righteous polite society of Wickhurst would not be here," Clarice murmured beside Tori.

She gave her stepmother a sideway glance and smiled away a snort. The lady just perfectly described herself. "I must admit I thought you would not come, Clarice,"

She always found it wrong to call the woman stepmother because Clarice was too young. The woman was merely ten years older than her. And more beautiful, as a matter-of-fact. With her black hair, blue eyes and fair skin, Clarice had higher chances of stealing attention than Tori ever could. And of course, there were the expensive gowns the woman enjoyed the most.

"Whyever would I not?"

"The Everards are still in a deep scandal, after all."

Clarice's eyes widened. "I cannot believe you would think of me in such a manner, Victoria. Of course, I would attend even if no one would!" the woman hissed under her breath. "The Everards are not just our neighbors—they are dear friends! You are Margaret's best friend, or have you forgotten that? And whatever scandal might come to them, they are still undeniably the Everards. The rest of them may marry a scullery maid and they will still survive society. With their mines and fine jewels, everyone would soon forget this scandal."

"Of course," Tori wryly murmured under her breath.

"What was that?"

"Nothing. Oh, I see Margaret," she said instead, already sauntering away.

"You cannot walk away without—"

"I am nearly officially a spinster, Clarice, I do not think I will need a chaperone," she said over her shoulder, itching to get away from the woman.

From afar, she saw Margaret Everard standing alone, looking around the ballroom as if in search of someone.

Tori stole her stepmother one last look before rushing toward her friend.

"She is preparing to leave the estate," she murmured even before Margaret noticed her presence. "We are losing it soon. I am losing it soon."

Margaret's emerald green eyes blinked at her in confusion, but not for long as understanding dawned on the woman. "You have not found the documents?"

"No. It is nowhere in the manor."

"Then you should go directly to the solicitor."

"She has Mr Frasier under her control," she murmured, nonchalantly looking about.