Chapter 29

Becky

"Students, don't forget that your packets are all due on Friday along with your vocabulary quiz. No late work will be accepted." My english teacher, Ms. Diaz reminded. I rolled my eyes with annoyance. 

We still have about 10 minutes of class left which allowed us to have free time. This is one of the classes I don't have with Rita. I look ahead 3 desks away to see him. Tony. The guy I've been texting for two weeks. 

He sat alone, which was surprising because usually he has a bunch of friends around. I put my stuff away before getting up and taking a seat next to him. He must've noticed my presents because he looked up from his phone.

"Oh, hey Becky" He smiled that breathtaking smile. Usually it would have an effect on most girls but I don't feel anything.

"Hey Tony" I smiled back.

I started playing with my hair, something I aways do when I'm nervous. 

"Hey Tony, I just wanted to say I-"

Before I had time to complete what I was going to say, the bell rang.

"Sorry, I didn't catch that. Talk to you later, ok?" He smiled down at me again, swung his bag over his shoulder, and left with the rest of the students.

Sighing, I grabbed my stuff and left. 

Maybe I can try tomorrow.

My phone vibrated. I was hoping it was a text from Tony, but it was from Rita

From: Rita

Hey my mom picked my up. I have to babysit Rose while she's at work. You can come over if you want.

I replied

To: Rita

No, it's alright. I have to finish my homeworks anyway. Have fun babysitting your little sister ;)

I giggled a little at my reply. Her baby sister, Rosemary, is a 3 year old cutie but is very naughty at times. Rita hates babysitting her, especially when she's by herself.

I hopped in my car and headed home. Immediately, I ran up to my room and threw my bag on my table. That's when I heard something crash down. A box, specifically red and medium sized with my name was written at the top.

I don't remember putting that on top of my desk. I don't even know what was inside it.

Walking to the mess, I gathered them together and lied them on my bed. My heart sunk as I suddenly remember what they are.

The pictures. The cards. The necklace. The gifts. They're all in here.

Tiny tears slipped out of my eyes remembering how I recieved every single one of these.

I thought I burned all the pictures. I thought I threw all these away.

I shouldn't be looking at these, but my hands and eyes think otherwise. My hands grabbed a card neatly folded with my name fancily written with big red hearts. It was from 2 years ago, when I was 15.

Dear Becky,

You know you're my best friend, right? Nothing will EVER change that. I just wanted to tell my bestest friend HAPPY BIRTHDAY. You're finally 15, like me. I just wanted you to have this necklace I bought especially engraved my name on it, just to remind who your best friend is.. I have one exactly the same but with your name on it. Promise me you will never take it off, like I promise not to take off mine. 

Tears rolled down my cheek remembering this day. My 15th birthday. These last five words got to me.

I love you! Love, Austin

My fingers lifted up the necklace remembering how this promise meant a lot to me. Remembering that day at the cliff when I broke mine and took it off. The day promises lost it's meaning to me.

(A/N: If you don't remember the necklace, go back to chapter 12 and 13)

I lifted it up closer to me.

Austin M.

A sad smile played upon my face. It's like no matter how hard I try to get him off my mind, something happens to bring him back. I'm happier without him.

Are you really? My mind asked

"Becky someone is-"

My mom's voice filled the air but stopped midway through her sentence. I didn't look up. My attention focused on this necklace, how much it meant to me. 

 I picked up a picture of Austin and I when we were 12.

 "I remember taking that picture. It was a beautiful day and you were so happy to see him." My mom smiled

 My eyes looked up with a sad smile. She let out a sigh.

"Becky.."

"How did this get in here?" I asked with my eyes fixed on the pictures, remembering all those days. 

She took the picture from my hand and examined it. I showed her the box. Her head shook

 "Becky, he-"

I cut her off holding up another letter. All these memories kept coming into my mind all at once. Sighing, I stared up to my mom

 "You miss him, don't you?"

 I stayed silent, but shook my head.

 "N-No, I don't. I'm p-perfectly fine without him" I stuttered.

 She gave me a look. She knows me too well.

 "Sweetie.."

 "No mom really, I'm fine!"

 I grabbed the box, shoved everything inside, and got up. But my body wouldn't cooperate with me which caused me to fall and everything scattered on my floor. Small tears rolled down my cheeks as I held the necklace in my hand.

My mom pulled me up and held me in her arms, cradling me. I could no longer control my sobs.

 "I-I miss him mom. I-"

 "Ssshh sweetie just calm down. He ca-"

Before she could say what she wanted to say, my door creaked open. My eyes glanced up. I dropped my necklace breathless. My heart started pounding. More tears rolled down my eyes. 

 Because there who stood by my door with tears in his eyes is the one person I thought I could live without. The one person I thought I could move on from. The person who loved me, cared for me, hurt me, and broke me.

I couldn't get the right words out. My voice wouldn't make a sound except for

 "A-Austin"

  -------