Chapter 3

P.S this song is the reason for this entire book. It's sooooo awesome I swear. Marina Kaye makes me swoon.

SONG - DANCING WITH THE DEVIL - MARINA KAYE

"Around two Mrs. Simmons will be arriving with the remainder of her grandmother's items. I expect them catalogued and kept in the safe until the auction tomorrow," My boss, Ulysses, instructed. I gathered the papers from his desk "Yes sir."

"The appraiser is coming in later. I would like you to show him the Michelson jewels to appraise," He added.

I nodded "Yes sir."

Ulysses cleared his throat giving me a strange look. The man was in his fifties – strict and the oldest fashioned man I'd ever encountered. His litter of grey and black hair appeared more like a helmet than hair from how much he gelled it back. His blue eyes were always squinted in a scrutinizing manner since he seemed to judge everything happening around him. From the coffee served too sweet, to the length of the secretary's skirt. Ironic since it was his greatest skill as an auctioneer.

His ability to deem the worth of an item in one single look. But it also made him an asshole.

"I offer my condolences on the disappearance of your sister," He said shuffling around in his chair. The words were forced, necessary sympathy. I knew he really didn't care about her disappearance. In fact Willy had come by my office several times and he'd expressed vocal irritation at her overall person each time. Wild curly hair, tattoo sleeves and booty shorts obviously did not fit his requirement of a proper lady.

Willy was the embodiment of all those things.

Obviously they did not get along.

Ulysses only said what he said for propriety sakes. Because that was what you did when someone's facing a personal tragedy. You apologize and offer your condolences whether you really mean it or not so everyone conceives you as a caring individual. I'd have rather preferred indifference to dishonesty.

"But with this generation's gruesome partying culture, having young women kidnapped in clubs when they're probably drunk out of their senses is something to be expected," He added. My fists clenched subconsciously. I truly didn't know what annoyed me more; the fact that he naturally assumed that because Willy was tattooed and casual in her clothing, she was a mindless party girl. Or the fact that he'd implied she deserved it.

The capacity of humans to judge others simply at a glance baffled me. Willy liked a good party but she wasn't living in and out of clubs the way everyone assumed.

"The police are on it and we're just hoping for the best," I said hoping it would end.

He made a disinterested sound "Get those done before lunch."

"Yes sir," I muttered glad to leave his office. His secretary Rhonda gave me a sympathetic look upon noticing my expression. I gave her tight smile. Rhonda understood firsthand how Ulysses was. There was no need for her to say anything.