Chapter 10

After school that day, I have decided that it would be best to go to Ava's house to tell her. I told Noah to just go home so it would be just Ava and me, and that the possible fact that she may not be happy if she finds out that I have told Noah first.

I walked across the bridge, looking over the edge to see the long drop it would be to hit the water. I kinda frowned at the water, knowing that this was the first place where I have first became a mermaid, where it have all started.

After following the path way for a while, I finally got to Ava's house. I took a breath before continuing. I was about to go up the steps to the front door until...

"Hey, Skylar!" Ava exclaimed from the back porch, she had one of those huge back porches that could see a little of the front yard if you stood on it, it connected to her pool. I jumped off the steps and came around to the back.

"Hey, Ava!" I tried to sound a little cheerful, but really, I was terrified inside.

"Hey, where have ya been? We haven't talked in a while." She smiled. "Did you find a new best friend to replace me?" She faked a frown.

I laughed. "Huh, no. I uh.... I wanted to tell you s-something.." I began to fiddle with my thumbs.

"Yeah sure, what is it?" She moved closer with interest. I looked down to her hands, then began to feel uncomfortable. She just so happened to be holding a bottle of water. Great... I scooted back a little to keep some distance from the water

"Um.. You remember, that day, when Noah and I came over and we played basketball?"

"Of course I do, what about it?" She seemed curious as to where I was going with this.

"Well, u-uh... When I left, I got caught in the middle of the big storm and, you know that bridge right near your house?" I couldn't help but stutter, I just couldn't get the words out.

"Duh, of course I do. I've lived here for about ten years. I go across it like everyday." She laughed.

I forced a smile. "Yeah well, I fell over the edge of it.."

She gasped. "Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" She grabbed my arm.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. But there was some type of whirlpool, forming under it."

"Whirlpool?" She raised an eyebrow at me. "Are you sure your not joking? Cause how could there be a whirlpool that forms under there that I don't know about?"

"It happens I guess on certain days at midnight." I shrugged. "And it's right under it so you don't get that great of a view of it."

"Pfft, at midnight. So typical." She rolled her eyes playfully.

"And well, I fell in that. It knocked me out. Then when I woke up.." I trailed off.

"When you woke up..?" She pushed for me to spit it out.

"I..... Had fins..." I looked at her nervously.

She jumped back. "Okay! You're kidding right? This is all some weird joke you came up with?"

"No it's true! Every time I touch water, I turn into a mermaid! And I have these super powers....." I thought about what I had just said. Wow, Noah is really wearing off on me..
"Okay well, not exactly super powers, well yes and no... I don't know! I can control water, and freeze water-"

"That sounds like super powers to me, Skylar. And you grow a tail when you touch water you say?" She smiled at me, holding up her water bottle.

"Y-yes, but don't do it. Cause I don't know how long it will take for me to get my legs back." I backed away.