Chapter 2

Walking into the dressing room of the gym, I glanced around but quickly averted my eyes. Seeing that everyone was getting dressed. The room was rectangular with yellow, ugly lockers lining the walls. Some lockers cut right through the middle of the room, making two square sections to change at. Four benches were in each section, three along the other wall so whoever's locker was not in the other two little sections could still have a place to set everything.

I glanced at a little piece of paper that contained the combination and locker number that I have gotten on open house night. I scanned through all of the lockers until I was able to locate mine.  When I finally did, it was right next to some other girl's locker. I set my stuff down onto a free spot on the bench next to her stuff. My locker was a little low, like second one from the bottom. All of the lockers were small, in order to be sure everyone had one.

Up and down, there was about four lockers in each row. The girl next to me laughed loudly at a comment her friend has made. Her back was to me, and a little in the way of my locker. But I was still able to reach it. I squatted down to get a closer view of my locker, being sure to not touch the cold, dirty floor. The room kinda disgusted me, it seemed that it needed was a complete remodeling, I would assume they just don't have the money to do so. While I pulled back out the little paper, I tried to figure out how to unlock the lock. Until the girl in front of me quickly bent over slightly. Putting her... Um.. Bottom a little too close to my face. I quickly pulled away, in reaction.

"Uhh.."

She finally left with her friends, not even realizing that I have been behind her about the entire time. Reason number one why I hate having a low locker.. I looked at he combination, shaking off he *shivers* event that had just taken place. "12, 34, 5." I mumbled the combination to myself, twisting the dial. I pulled the leaver, expecting it to open. It didn't. I tried it again.

"12, 34, 5." I said to myself again. I yanked the leaver, nothing. I groaned, trying again. "12, 34, 5." I grumbled a little harsher. I yanked the leaver harder, nothing. Okay, forget it! I stood back up. Turning back around to face my stuff. I glanced back around the room, with half of the girls already gone. Very few were changing, and most of them were hogging the mirror in the restroom section. Putting on makeup or doing their hair, even someone brought a hair straightener!

I was self-conscious about getting dressed in front of people like this, so as I changed, I tried to do it quickly, making as less eye contact as possible and kept myself covered any way I could. Throwing on the last article of clothing, my shirt, I reached into my bag to pull out a hair brush, quickly brushing through my hair to make it a bit neater. I stashed it back away into my bag, checking over my clothes to be sure they looked alright as I walked out of the room and into the gymnasium. A ball flew past me, barely missing my face. I jumped back in surprise. Everyone was playing basket ball, bat mitting, or just tossing a ball around and sitting on the bleacher talking to friends.

I tried to spot the teacher until I saw her wondering around with a clip board. I slowly walked up to her.

"Um, excuse me? What am I suppose to be doing?"

"Since it's the first day, we're taking it easy. Just do whatever." She didn't even look up from her board.

"Oh, okay thank you."

She just hummed in response, walking away. I faced the rest of the room, my eyes skipping around. I didn't see anyone I really know or am friends with, and I do love bat mitting but people were already playing and I didn't feel comfortable asking if I could play.

I didn't see any free basket balls I could play with, so I just proceeded to the bleachers. I would have sat by the wall if I could but it seemed that's where everyone is at. So I had to sit more in the middle, the emptiest spot I could find. I sat and zoned out into my mind, every year in school if I'm alone like this, I spend a lot of time in my head. Suddenly, someone grabbed me from behind. Practically kicking me out of my thoughts.