Chapter 3

Song: Can We Talk by Tevin Campbell

Aaliyah

I had convinced myself that the reason that I was still single was because of how abrasive and headstrong I came off as. "I was just too intimidating," I thought. But I knew that it was just a lie I was telling myself. I wasn't as strong and put together as I seemed. I was, however, very prideful; a trait I had inherited from my father.

It was why I never called Christopher back, after he gave me his phone number three months ago. I put the task off over and over again and tried to play it off like I just wasn't that into him, which was a boldfaced lie. He ignited a fire in my soul that had an eternal flame. I could not even deign myself to tell Raven that my car was out and I was currently determined to walk seven miles to work because I didn't have enough to spare for bus fare.

I didn't want to burden her anyway, after all that she has done for me over the years, and she was so happy now. Dr. Neverson had just moved back from his residency in Miami and the two were doe-eyed and lovey-dovey whenever they were near. I wanted something like that, a real love that turned me into one of those girly girls.

The positive side to having to walk though was getting to enjoy my favorite season: autumn. There was just something about the apple, pumpkin, and Naples yellow leaves against the brick of the brownstone. When I was in high school, my photography portfolio was overflowing with pictures of city life and scenery like the landscape laid before me.

"This girl has way too many clothes, Aaliyah, I'm telling you. Like I love fashion but even I think this is ridiculous. My life goals but ridiculous," she sighed. "So what's wrong with your little hooptie again?"

I was on the phone listening to Raven talk about work as a PA. She was organizing Sequoia's many closets by season, color, and clothing type and knew that this was going to be a project that would take a few days.

"Girl, I had to take my car to the shop for an oil change."

I kicked a soda can out of my way on the sidewalk, dragging my toe like I was shooting a goal.

"And why didn't you take the subway again?" Raven asked, voice sounding slightly strained like it always did when she stuck the phone in the crook of her neck.

"I'm trying to save up whatever change I can. Hopefully I can get rid of this piece of junk in a few months."

"It has been through a lot," she agreed. "I would've taken you if you would've just said something-- you know what? I could be there in twenty, matter of fact. I'll just ask Sequoia--"

"Rae, it's fine. I'll be there soon anyway," I fibbed.

I wasn't even at the halfway point but I didn't want her to have to leave for me. I could take care of myself.

"Mm, okay-- but enough about me and work and Trey," She paused. "What about you and Chris? Did you ever call him back?"

Chris.

"Oh no girl, I don't think he's the one for me."

"That is a damn lie and you know it. He was perfect for you and y'all have so much in common. What's the real deal?"

I sighed. "I've been busy with work and other things. I'll get around to it eventually. I doubt he even remembers me. It was just drinks."

Aaliyah?

I'm tripping. I could've sworn I heard my name.

"Aaliyah, is someone calling your name?"

A car door shut behind me and I was starting to feel uneasy.

"No, shouldn't be. I don't know anyone that would be out in the Upper East Side this time of day."

"Aaliyah. Aaliyah!"

That was definitely someone seeking my attention.

"Good Lord, please pray for me because I'm about to get murked on the streets of New York," I held my breath.

Slowing down, I braced myself to pull out some pepper spray and start swinging. I turned around wearily as the footsteps approached closer and closer.

I let out a brief sigh of relief as I recognized the person in front of me. It was Christopher, in the flesh, looking even better than the first time I saw him.

"Aaliyah, hey, can we talk for a minute?" He towered over me by at least a half a foot.

I fought the urge to blush and kept up my alter ego.

"Christopher." I looked him over in his sweatpants, matching grey jacket and tee.

"How are you? You look great." He gestured towards me.

"I'm good, you?"

"Better now," he smiled and rubbed the back of his neck, "Well, I can tell just from the look on your face that you think I'm tryna holla at you just to spit game, which is only partially true in the sense. I can see that you're very beautiful and intelligent, but I also see this wall that you put up. Now I'm not asking you to bare your soul to me. I'm just tryna make conversation."

I folded my arms across my chest.

"So basically I'm just some chick with trust issues that you feel you can fix? Well, thanks for the offer Christopher but I have enough friends and I'm late for work."

I started to walk away but turned back when he laid a hand on my shoulder.

"Now wait a minute, Aaliyah. You know I didn't mean it in a derisive way, though you did just prove my point. I'm sorry for offending you, I just want to get to know you. Come on, the least I can do is give you a ride to work."

"I'm good."

"Are you sure? It's about to rain."

"I'm sure. I'm not that far."

I spoke too soon. He pointed towards the sky, where the clouds were rolling in right on cue. A slight drizzle started coming down. I weighed my options: four more miles in the rain or twenty minutes in the car with Christopher.

"Ugh, alright, alright, you win." I looked at the Hondas and Toyotas lining up and down the street, "Which one's yours?"

He jogged down the street a little ways and swung around to open the passenger door of a black Lamborghini, waiting on me.

Chapter 3 is a short one hopefully there will be more updates soon.