Chapter 31

Song: LOVE. by Kendrick Lamar

Christopher

When Derek text Chris to meet him at the office ASAP, Chris was a little weary considering what had happened the last time he had been urged to go down there. He had stepped straight into a scene off of a VH1 show. With Karrueche gone though, the place should have been considerably less crazy. She was patient zero of the crazy.

Chris was surprised to have heard from Derek at all, considering that he had been M.I.A. for about two weeks, having up and left with little to no explanation as to where he was going. The only instructions he left were for Aaliyah to run the show for him while he was gone, which she did happily. Chris didn't just listen to the show; he was down there sitting with her in the studio every day. He had even joined her to talk a few times and people called in to tell them how cute they were together. Aaliyah played what she wanted with free control of the sound and even plugged Chris, telling the audience to keep an eye out for him. She loved playing house like she had her own show, and the fans had really seemed to enjoy her presence. The response was positive.

However, it seemed like her playtime was coming to an end. From the text Chris received he reckoned Derek had finally made his way back in town and was ready to answer for his absence. He wasn't quite sure why he had to be there though. He didn't work there.

"I might as well have my own ID card as much as I'm up here," Chris thought as he checked in with the guest services desk.

It was true. The people at the desk knew him by name by he still had to sign in any way for the formalities. He'd talk to Derek about when he got a chance because he'd much rather just swipe a badge and be on his way. Security had doubled down since the Karrueche incident.

There was a gathering in the middle of the floor forming a semicircle around Derek and Sequoia. Chris took a spot standing behind Aaliyah, trying to tune into what Derek was saying. It was hard to really focus on anything but her when she was around.

The couple standing in front of him both had a slight tan, Sequoia more than Derek. She was so golden she almost looked like she was glowing. Derek looked utterly relieved like a big weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. He hadn't been in good spirits before he left and everyone could see that Sequoia's absence was taking a big toll on him. He held onto her hand now as if she'd run out of the room if he gave her some slack. She didn't seem to mind though, resting her head onto his shoulder as he addressed the room.

"Okay, so, I guess I'll just go ahead and address the elephants in the room. Yes, I did take off without any notice as to how long or to where. To be honest, I didn't really know myself. I just hopped onto the first plane out to Europe to follow the breadcrumbs. I just knew that I needed to get to Sequoia. I can't imagine my life without her," he turned to face her, "without you. She is the most important thing in my life and I knew that the only thing that mattered to me was getting her back. And by the grace of God, she actually took me back. I found her nonchalantly sipping champagne on a terrace in Italy. She didn't even look up at me. All she said was 'I thought I'd have a few more days to myself before you found me.' She let me grovel and wait on her hand and foot even though she had already made up her mind before I arrived. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat though easily if that's what she wanted, and I plan on spending the rest of our lives showing you just how much I truly love and adore and cherish you."

"All that being said," he transitioned, "this work schedule just doesn't give me the quality time I need to spend with my wife, so as of today, I'm cutting back my hours. We need to focus on our family and to be honest, I could use a break. So I am announcing today that with my stepping back, I'd like to see someone else shine. She's done a phenomenal job in my absence, and I've always known that she's had it in her," he gestured out, "Aaliyah, you're getting your own show. You more than deserve it, and I'm not telling you that it's going to be easy. It's going to be worth it. The ball is in your court now."

Everyone's eyes turned towards Aaliyah as a round of applause sounded. Chris couldn't see her reaction standing behind her but he would've guessed that she just looked shocked. She wasn't a person that liked to cry in public. She'd hold it in for as long as she could.

Aaliyah stepped forward into the circle and hugged the couple tightly. They whispered back and forth too low for anyone else to hear. Chris waited for them to finish, feeling antsy. He wanted to rush over and just sweep her off of her feet but he'd wait his turn.

She turned back around and noticed Chris' presence, smiling even bigger which seemed impossible at that point. The crowd started to disperse giving them their personal space.

She threw her arms around Chris, squeezing tight and swaying. All of his nerves eased at once.

"So, how do you feel?"

"I can't even explain it. My own show, I'm getting my own show! Holy shit."

"You deserve it. You have been nothing short of amazing."

He meant it.

"I'm just so happy for me, for you, for Derek and Sequoia. They eloped!"

"Wow."

Everyone around them was taking the next steps. Trey and Raven were engaged, Derek and Sequoia were married and expecting. Chris prayed to God that he would be lucky enough to have that with Aaliyah down the line. Hell, he was ready to pop the question today but he would wait until the time was right for her.

"Yeah, they didn't even have to get a paternity test or anything because Karrueche lied about being pregnant just to stir up some drama. Sequoia is expecting herself, though. They're married and starting a family. I know Derek is ecstatic. Ugh, I'm so excited!" She rambled.

In a matter of weeks, they had both taken one giant step forward towards their dreams. Chris would begin working on his first album and Aaliyah would prep to start her solo show. They were on top of the world, together.

"We're on the come up."

They interlocked fingers.

"There's no other person I'd rather do this with."