Chapter 2

The next day,Alex sat on top of one of the balconies looking out at the village.Suddenly,he heard a voice speak from behind him."It's impossible Alex."He turned around and saw Ashly standing by the door."I...I know..."he replied.Ashly gracefully walked forward and placed her hand on the balconie's ledge."I hate it.I hate being stuck in here just as much as you do."
  "Why?Why does the king want us here so badly?Why won't he let us leave?"
  "I don't know..."Ashly slightly smiled,"we aren't exactly ruling a kingdom now are we.We are more like prisoners here than royalty."Alex looked back at the city that stood beautifully beyond the castle."I remember living there.I remember having friends,siblings,and a family...a real family,that loved me.My grandparents used to tell me stories about how kingdoms used to be ruled.How instead of forcing random people to take charge,you had to be a part of a royal family by blood.According to them,things...were much better then..."
Ashly and Alex both stood in complete silence.Not a single one of them mentioned anything any further then that,but kept the rest of their thoughts within.They eventually departed without a second moment to spare.
During the night,Alex couldn't stop dreaming about his future for when he finally makes it out of the castle.His excitement kept him awake the entire time.He kept imagining the conversation he might have with the visiting princess,and what message she would give him about the way out.He'd never been so ready for another day like that for a very long time.
Alex listened to the sounds of the castle changing course,as it always did to confuse the paths.There was never a particular pattern of which they changed,it was always random.Alex smiled as he listened and thought,Be warned maze,for tomorrow,I will conquer you and escape.I will see my family again,and you can no longer keep me prisoner here...not for long.
Alex had spent the entire night watching the time,anxiously waiting for the sun to rise.He sat on his bed chanting the countdown for morning when the maids walked into his room to give him breakfast."Three,Two,One,Zero!"Alex immediately jumped out of bed and went dashing toward the door.He quickly turned the cold knob and he ran into a maid of whom was just about to open the door.
The maid was carrying his breakfast in her hand.Alex immediately grabbed a piece of bread and said,"Thanks maa'm!"As he continued running into the hall.The maid stared at him in shock while she tried to call out to him,"Wait your majesty!Your still in your..."Alex disappeared around the corner before she was able to warn him,"pajamas..."she finished.
Alex continued at full speed until he finally made it into the entrance hall where everyone had already gathered around to await the arrival of the princess.Out of his excitement,his words just trailed off in a rush,"Is she here yet?!Did I miss her?!What's going on?!And how did you guys get here so fast?!"
Ashly took one small and surprised look at Alex,and put her hand over her mouth to try not to laugh.Alex stood confused for a second before he asked,"What?Did I do something?"Ashly's face began turning red and she couldn't hold back her laughter any longer,she just burst out laughing.
"Yup,you sure did something alright!"She said in a giggly teasing tone.The king and queen did the same thing as Ashly and began laughing as well.Alex was so confused,he had no idea what was going on,and was too tired and exited to think.
Suddenly,the doors to the entrance hall opened,and the princess walked out into the room.The king and queen immediately welcomed her with great respect and a joyous smile placed on their faces.Each one of them greeted her and got to introduce themselves.Alex couldn't wait,as soon as everyone else finished talking to her,he ran strait to her to meet her.
"Hi I'm Alex!And you must be...um...sorry but what was your name again?"The princess looked at him in shock for second,almost laughing about the same thing Ashly noticed.It took a few moments before the princess said anything,"Tell me Alex...are you good at riddles?"
Alex looked at her in confusion,"umm...I guess so..."Saphire smiled after his reply as she said,"I am blue like the ocean,I twinkle like a star,I am round like ball but I come in many shapes,who am I?"Alex took a few long moments of thought.He kept thinking of the possibilities of things she could be.Then it came to him,"Oh!Duh,that's right!Your name is Saphire!"
Saphire smiled again and held out her hand,"Very good,it's a pleasure to meet you."
"You too!"Alex said with enthusiasm.Saphire looked behind him in the direction of which the rest of the family had gone."Well Alex,I better go catch up with everyone else,thank you for the intro."
"No problem."Saphire then began walking to the exit,but turned back around before she made it to the door and said,"Oh...um...Alex.Sorry I didn't tell you this sooner,I don't think anyone else will,but...your in your PJ's..."
Alex looked down surprised."WHAAT!!"Saphire laughed and then continued out of the room.Alex immediately ran right out,and headed toward his room.I am such an ideot!I can't believe I made such a fool of myself!