Chapter 13

Getting caught was not part of the plan.

The plan was to get Adrienne and get out. Simple and easy, right? It was supposed to be. Marin regretted not taking into consideration the fact that there would be multiple guards and it wouldn't be the easiest task in the world to walk out the front doors carrying the girl they had been hiding from the outside world for over a year. He should have known better, but for some reason, he didn't.

Maybe Marin could blame it on the fact that he had just been in a coma, and hadn't given himself time to think. Maybe he could blame it on the complete and utter hatred that he felt towards Miles. Hatred was almost all he could feel, aside from relief that Adrienne was alive and alright.

Their hands were tied together, but he noticed he was no longer transformed as he had been earlier. That should have meant that Tikki was there. Somewhere.

The room was dark, and he could barely see right in front of him. He could hear the sounds of another person in the room adjacent to the one they were in, but that was it. He knew someone was talking, but he couldn't quite make out the words they were saying. He tried to scoot closer when he was held back by the person against his back; Adrienne.

She was still sleeping, or so he thought. When he heard her mumble some words, he figured that she was just talking in her sleep.

He needed to get closer to the door to hear what was going on, but he just couldn't move. It felt as if his shoes were concrete, unable to move.

"Marin. In the corner of the room to the l-left of us - your left - there's a knife. We just need to stand up..." Adrienne whispered, startling Marin, who was not expecting her to speak.

Marin glanced in the direction that Adrienne had mentioned, seeing the silver glint of the blade. His eyes widened; a twinge of hope. 

Both Adrienne and Marin started bouncing ideas off of each other, trying to figure out what the could do to free themselves. There wasn't much they could do. Their hands were tied behind their back. Their bodies worn and beat from the fight.

"I'm sure if we both work together we can stand up and get to the knife." Marin murmured to Adrienne, not sure who around could hear the two, if there was anyone or anything around anyway. 

Adrienne nodded, "of course." She took a deep breath and tried to stand up from the ground, leaning on Marin as she did. As she leaned on him, he also pressed his back against hers, hoping each of them putting pressure on each other would assist them in standing up. Their idea had begun to work, but after a while they started to slip and both fell on their rears.

"Tikki!" Marin whisper-yelled, hoping that the kwami would come out from wherever she was hiding. But after doing this a few times, with no reply, he figured his attempts were futile. With a deep sigh, he brainstormed more ideas. 

But before he could think of something to do, he felt a pull on his arms. He turned his head as much as he could to see Adrienne scooting forward using her legs. He let out a small laugh. "Adrienne, let me do that." He turned so he was looking at the table that had the knife in the corner of the room, and started doing the same thing she was doing. 

They had gotten half-way when they heard something fall outside the room they were in. They both gulped simultaneously, hoping that it was just the wind or air currents knocking something over. But then they heard the handle jiggle. 

Marin gripped onto Adrienne's hand, trying to say, "everything is okay, you don't have to worry," without actually saying it out loud.

The door opened with a long, slow creak. They both listened intently for footsteps, but none were heard. They were both on edge, waiting to find out who the culprit was who opened the door. 

"Marin?" They heard a small, high pitched voice. 

Marin's eyes lit up, and a wide grin spread across his face. "Tikki! Quick grab that knife on the table. Over in the corner." He nodded his head towards the table, earning an affirmative nod from the kwami.

Tikki grabbed the knife and carried it to the duo, and Marin carefully cut them free. The pair rubbed their wrist, both sore and red from pulling on the ropes.

Marin helped Adrienne to her feet and then hugged her tightly. He missed her so much, and he couldn't believe that today was the day he had found her again. It filled him with relief that she could finally be safe in his arms again. 

"Come on, we have to get out of here." Marin finally let go, much to his dismay. He still held her hand, though, to make sure he wouldn't lose her again. 

Adrienne gripped his hand firmly. "But what about Miles?" 

"Staying here won't do us any good while you're in this condition. Even if we stay and find him, we're both not in perfect shape to fight him."

"But Plagg..." Adrienne muttered, her eyes watering. 

Marin frowned, hugging her once more for comfort. "Hey, hey, it's okay. He's over a thousand years old, I think he'll be okay on his own for a little bit. And he can always come back to us later if he gets out." 

The blonde nodded, though she was still not comfortable with leaving her kwami all alone for such a long period of time. He had tended to be really annoying, but he was one of her best friend's and she wouldn't want anything happening to him. 

Marin could tell that she was still worried about Plagg. The way she avoided eye contact with him and just looked at the place on her hand where her ring had once been before. It was gone now, so even if she found him, there was no guarantee that she would be able to stay with him for much longer. He could easily sympathize with her. If he had ever lost his kwami, he would be heartbroken. He's grown so close to Tikki, like Adrienne to Plagg. He'd fall apart.

But he had to stay strong and in control for Adrienne. She was already in a scary condition, and he didn't know what to do except get her to a hospital.

The two made their ways through the corridor very warily. They were mute. Not a peep made between them. They stepped with steps quiet enough to hear a pin drop. They breathed slowly and minimally. They moved steadily, knowing if they ran, not only would their footsteps make too much noise, but their breathing would be heavy and loud.

The place was like a maze; an underground bunker of sorts. There was no clear way out and not a window in sight. The lights were dim in some areas, and there were none in most. This made it convenient for them, but also difficult. The darkness kept them hidden, but it also made it harder to find their way around. 

"The Miraculous holders have escaped!" They both jumped and turned their heads in the direction of the voice. It wasn't nearby, it was fairly far away. It had come from the room that they were held in. The room they'd escaped from. 

There was no time to be quiet and steady, they had to act quickly now. They took off in a sprint, the adrenaline from being nearly caught giving them energy to keep going on, no matter how broken and tired they felt. They made random turns, trying not to run around in circles. 

They came to a set of stairs. The two looked at each other and nodded, letting out a deep sigh. This was hopefully the exit. This was hopefully where they'd be free for a while.

They charged up the stairs and pushed open door at the top. Adrienne's eyes widened at the sight in front of them...

~~~

Yes it is a short chapter, but guess who is backkkkk~?

Love y'all, and hope you enjoyyy~!

Dedicated to Rachiella3 and Nepeta_Lejion123 for my absence ❤