Chapter Three: A Heartbreak

"Oh Aria, how I have longed to kiss you" Richard says while smiling.  Aria feels the butterflies in her stomach when Richard smiles at her while entwining his fingers with hers, as if he doesn't intend to let her go.

"Aria, hello earth to Aria?" Richard asks.  Aria was daydreaming about their weekend while at work.  Aria snaps back to reality. "Oh heyyy Richard" Aria chuckles nervously. "I need you to do a general service on this customer's pickup truck, make sure everything is in working order". "Ok Richard I will get onto it" Aria replies. "Once you have finished, come into my office we have things to discuss" Richard mentioned.  Then a customer comes into the garage, leading Richard to retreat to his office to deal with the customer.

Aria gets to work on the task that she has been set for the day. Then a favourite song of hers comes on the radio leading her to go turn the volume up and start dancing around.  Richard could see through his office window that Aria is dancing happily without a care in the world, which makes Richard fall for her more every time.  After the customer leaves, Richard calls Aria into his office. "Shut the door Aria" Richard says sternly.  Aria shuts the door.  Richard walks over to her, grabs her hand and pulls her closely to him, where their faces meet.  Richard is gazing upon Aria's sparkly blue eyes.  Aria leans in, where her lips finally touch his.

On the way home, Aria could not stop thinking about Richard and that she has finally found happiness with someone.  As soon as she walks through the door, she is greeted by her mother. "Hi honey, how was your day?".  Aria catches her mum up on her day, but leaves out the moment that happened in the office with Richard.  Aria retreats to the living room to watch TV.  "Aria honey, your father is on the phone" Aria's mum calls out. "I do not want to speak to him" Aria replies. "No honey it is important". Aria groans and gets up to answer the phone. "Hello" Aria says. "Hi Aria, long time no speak my darling". "What do you want Dad?" There was a long pause until Aria's Dad finally responds. "Aria you need to listen carefully, this is not easy for me to say, but Aria I am dying". "I am sorry, what?" Aria replies. "I am dying from end stage kidney failure".  From the moment Aria's dad told Aria he is dying, she could feel her heart shatter into millions of pieces like broken glass while tears running down her cheeks. "Dad, no you can't be dying".  Aria is now crying down the phone.  It takes Aria's Dad to be strong and not fall apart and cry as well.  Her Dad replies with a steady voice, "Aria, I just want you to know I love you very much and that I am sorry". "I am coming to see you Dad, I need to see you" Aria says.  "I would like that a lot Aria".  Aria hangs up the phone and retreats to her room while throwing herself on the bed crying her eyes out wishing the pain would stop.

Aria's Mum comes into the bedroom to hold her daughter tightly. "Mum he can't be dying" Aria sobs. "Darling your father has not been well for quite a long time now, he told me not to tell you, as he didn't want to burden you, as he wanted you to live your life to the fullest".  "Mum how could he not tell me? I thought he cared enough" Aria sobs. "Oh Aria, the many times I have wanted to tell you, but your father begged me not to, as this was something he needed to tell you himself". "God all the times he wanted to speak to me, but I chose not to as I couldn't forgive him for what he did to you Mum". "Aria, sometimes we need to forgive people, not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace. This gives you the opportunity to heal and grow as a person". "You really are a strong woman Mum".  Aria hugs her mum tightly.

While Aria's mum helps Aria pack her suitcase and look up flights to Rio, Aria goes outside to talk to Richard on the phone. "Hello Aria" Richard answers.  Aria is sobbing down the phone. "Aria, what is wrong my love?" Richard asks with concern. "Oh Richard, my heart is breaking, I received news that my dad is dying" Aria sobs. "Oh Aria, I am so sorry". "I just need you to know Richard that I am flying out to Rio as I need to be with my Dad". "Aria you take all the time you need, I can join you if you like?" Richard asks. "I know you mean well Richard, but this is something I need to do on my own" Aria sobs. "Of course Aria, I will still be waiting here for you in San Francisco". "Goodbye Richard" Aria sobs. "Goodbye my love" Richard says with sadness.  Aria hangs up the phone.  She is crying even more now as she feel like she is losing her dad and the guy she cares for.

Aria finally makes her way to the airport, checks in and then sees her plane is boarding at gate 5.  She gives her Mum a big hug and kisses her goodbye embarking on her journey.