Peach Pie & Kisses

"Just have a seat, I'll be with you shortly." An older man called out as Rhett entered the small white building.

Still holding Lacey, Rhett took a seat and flashed a rogues smile at Lacey. "Are you comfortable, baby?"

Blushing pink, Lacey struggled a bit in his arms. "Rhett!" She hissed. "This isn't proper."

"It's perfectly proper." Rhett assured her, his grin never leaving his face. "Now stop wiggling or I'll be forced to kiss you."

Lacey gasped and immediately became still. Rhett chuckled, "Are kisses from me that disturbing, baby?" He murmured against her ear. His hot breath tickled her neck and sent shivers down her spine.

She wanted him to kiss her! Oh how she wanted his kiss on her lips. "It-It's... The doctor will see." She murmured, his dark eyes were studying her face, seemed to memorize every feature, read her every thought. She loved his eyes, they had a depth... A mysterious depth that held more secrets then he betrayed.

"Hey, Doc!" Rhett called, his eyes never leaving Lacy's. "You gonna be long?"

"Several minutes more if you can wait. I have to wrap this arm." The doctor called cheerfully as he continued his work.

"Do you mind if I kiss my girl in your waiting room?"

"Rhett!" Embarrassed Lacey hid her face in the shirt material covering his chest.
Chuckling, a white haired man with faded blue eyes stuck his head into the waiting room. "One thing I've learned in life, is that you should never pass up the chance to kiss your sweetheart. I'll call you when I'm ready."

"I can't believe you did that." Lacey whispered.

"Believe it, baby." Rhett whispered against her lips.
"But he's gonna think that we-"

"Love each other." His fingers caressed her soft cheek. "Do you love me, Lacey?"

"I- " talking a deep breath, she raised her eyes to meet his smoldering dark brown eyes. "I do." She bravely murmured.

A handsome smile spread across Rhett's face. "Well that makes me feel real good." He said, tracing his finger around the shape of her pink full lips.

"It does?" Lacey felt as though her heart would pound out of her chest.

"Yup. " leaning down, he pressed a couple of soft gentle kisses to first her lower then her upper lip. " Life is better if love isn't one sided."

Lacey's eyes widened in surprise. "You love me?"

"Yup." Rhett wasted no more time in taking her lips to his own. Cupping her face with his hands, his lips danced against hers. Teasingly delicious, Rhett savored the sweet flavor of her mouth. He couldn't stop! He couldn't get enough of kissing this wonderful woman. Threading his fingers through her silky hair, Rhett worked his mouth away hers. Placing moist kisses to her neck, he whispered "You make my blood boil, baby girl."

"I'm- I'm sorry." Lacey allowed him to tilt her head back to allow more access to her neck.

"Oh it's a good thing, darlin'. It's a very good thing." His breath tickled her neck and caused Lacey to shiver in his arms. "Are you cold?" He asked.

"No." Lacey ran her fingers through his hair and marveled at how soft and thick it felt. Heaven. Lacey was sure she'd gone straight to heaven to reside in the arms of an angel.

"Son?" The doctor called. "I'm finished up, you can bring your girl back and put her on my examining table. I'll be with you in a minute or so."

Rhett winked at Lacey as he rose to his feet. "Saved by the doctor."

"Saved?"

"Oh you were in great danger a few seconds ago."

"Was I?" Her brow wringing in confusion as he sat her gently on the table.

"You let the doctor take care of you, and I'll be right back for you."

"You're leaving me?"
"I'll be back."

The old doctor winked at Rhett as he walked into the waiting room. "I'll have your little darlin fixed up in a few minutes."

"I appreciate it. I need to run over and have a chat with the preacher."

"Of course, run along, boy. I'll keep your girl safe until you get back. She's a pretty little thing."

Rhett chuckled as he pulled open the door. "I'll hurry back."

----

"That feel better?"

"Much. I thank you for your care Doctor Henderson." Lacey said as the kind doctor finished bandaging her foot. "He didn't say where he was going?" She asked again.

The doctor stood upright and smiled at her. "Oh he did, but I think he'd rather I didn't tell you."

"Oh."

"Don't worry." The doctor said as the outside door opened and shut. "I think you're gonna find out right soon."

Lacey turned toward the doorway as Rhett entered the room, his hat in his hands. "I brought the preacher, Lacey."

"Rhett," she frowned. I'm not that bad off."

Chuckling, he took both her hands in his and bent down until they were eye to eye. "I brought him in hopes that you might want to marry me."

Lacey's eyes widened in surprise and wonder. Her mind struggled to accept the fact that Rhett wanted to marry her! A smile turned her lips upward and she said the first thing that came to her mind, "Before dinner?"

Rhett chuckled and pressed a kiss to the back of her small hands. "Yes, before dinner. What do you say?"

"I say... Call him in!"

The doctor clapped his hands twice. "I'll fetch my wife! She'll never forgive me if I let her miss the weddin'!"

"Preacher!" Rhett called. "You can come in. She said yes!"

Several minutes later saw Rhett and Lacey holding hands before the preacher as they exchanged vows before God and the Doctor and his missus.

"Rhett," the preacher finished, "you may kiss your bride."

Unable to contain the joy and hope filling his heart, Rhett smiled as he bent and place a gentle kiss to Lacey's upturned lips.

"This calls for a celebration!" The doctors wife declared. "We're not having anything special, mind you but your welcome to join us for supper if you're of a mind to."

Looking to Lacey, Rhett nodded and said, "thank you, ma'am. We'd be honored."

"Wonderful! Come along. Preacher, you're welcome too!"
The five sat down to a fried chicken supper with large pieces of peach pie.
----
"That's odd. " Lily mumbled.

"I wonder why she hasn't replied." Micah said. "You don't suppose your father intercepted the telegram, do you?"

"I'm not sure... But she should have replied by now! Micah, I'm worried about Lacey."

Wrapping her in his arms, Micah pulled his new wife to him. "We'll find her, sugar. I've got to arrange a few things in town but we can leave day after tomorrow and find your sister. We'll bring her back." Micah promised.