Grandbabies

Micah smiled and squeezed Lily's hand as they approached the door. "Don't worry, love." He reassured her yet again. Today, Micah and Lily decided they should announce their marriage to there friends. Namely Zane and River. Poor Lily was terrified of their reaction to her. It was common knowledge that she had worked in the saloon as a serving girl. She still worried River might hold that against her. Women were always more critical of their own gender. No amount of assures and kisses from Micah could bring Lily comfort. Besides all of this, a small part of her mind and heart worried after her little sister. She still hadn't heard from Lacey and Lily feared the worst.

Just as Lily had convinced herself to turn and run from the small Soddy, the door swung open to reveal a young pregnant woman.

"Micah" the woman teasingly scowled, "Did you come to eat my pie?"

"Of course." Micah replied with a lopsided grin. "I could smell that pie burning all the way to my cabin in the woods. That's one thing I'll give you, River. You can burn a pie like nobody else! Mmmm-hmmm!"

"I oughta bake a pie outta you!" River declared upset at her poor pie being ridiculed like it was.

"Now, now, River. Don't get violent. You're going to scare my wife."

"Wife!" River gasped and for once noticed the small blonde woman that was attempting to hide behind the large deputy.

"This is my wife Lily. We've come for you to make us dinner." Micah said pulling his bride to his side. His large smile was resplendent with happiness.

Lily felt a little more comfortable with Micah's arm around her, shielding her from the opinion of others.

Closing her mouth, River stepped aside from the door and motioned the two to enter. "I'm so sorry, dear! You probably think I'm the meanest thing! What I was saying to your husband! I'm sorry, we always banter." River chuckled nervously and pulled out a chair for Lily. "Here now, you can sit and we can chat while I finish mashing my potatoes. Micah you go outside."

"What?" Micah growled as he headed for the door. "Am I suppose to eat with the hogs now?"

"You'll be more comfortable. You won't have to worry about your table manners." River replied, a teasing twinkle in her eye. "Zane's in the barn. Tell him dinner will be ready in fifteen minutes." River turned back to Lily with a smile. "I am sooo glad to meet you!" She squealed as she hugged the blonde woman tightly. "You'll be good for Micah."

"Micah is good for me." Lily replied with a smile. "I don't know what I'd do without him." Lily stood and fetched another apron that hung on a hook near the stove. "I refuse to let you do all the work though. Tell me what needs done and we can chat while we work."

"It's a deal!" River laughed. "I seem to be running out of energy more and more these days.
"I'm not surprised! You look like you're due any minute!" Lily exclaimed as she sliced the bread.
"I am!" River said. "This little guy is several days late. It's driving his father crazy!"
"Are you hoping for a boy or girl?"

"Mm.. A boy I think."

"Why a boy?" Lily asked as she moved to set the table.

"Because then he can marry your daughter and unite our families!"

Lily gasped in surprise and looked up to see if River was serious.
River sighed dreamily as she gazed out the window. "Wouldn't it be wonderful if you had a girl and my boy and your girl grew to be friends and eventually lovers?"

Lily smiled as she thought about to picture River painted. "I can see it." She admitted. "You'll have a fine dark haired boy with green eyes. He'll be hardworking and kind. Maybe he'll even have a farm of his own. And I'll have a little girl with brown eyes and blonde curls. She'll despise needle point and forever be to running to your boy to take rides with her and go fishin' in the creek behind our house."

"And it won't be long before my boy steals your girls first kiss when they're fishin' one night. Soon after that he'll get all dressed up and ask Micah permission to court his little girl."

"Micah will give him a hard time," Lily agreed. "But he'll come around because he'll want his baby girl yo have the same kind of happiness he and I have."

"Soon we'll be planing a wedding."River sighed in delight, " and it won't be long after that and we'll be rocking our little grandbabies."

"You think they ought to have twins?" Lily asked.

"Oh yes! They must have twins! One for each of us to cuddle!"

"Well well well." Zane teased as he closed the door behind Micah and hung his hat. "Now that the two of you have planned the lives of our unborn children, can we eat?"

"That is if you didn't want to plan your grandchildren's lives too." Micah grinned as he and Micah took a seat at the table.

"Oh you two just hush up." River scolded. "There's nothing wrong with dreaming."