Chapter 06: Forsythia

The day after Sascha had surprised Evan with a small peck on the cheek, the man was still thinking about all that he'd learned about Sascha the previous day. At the very least, he now knew why Sascha was so skittish when it came to relationships. He supposed he'd be the same way after what the florist had gone through. Unfortunately, Evan couldn't say he'd ever been in such a situation, rather he'd been the one causing people so much grief.

He recognized that perhaps the relationships he'd practically run away from hadn't been as inconsequential to others as they had been to him. Maybe some of the women he'd been with had truly thought him to be in love with them and maybe they had loved him like Sascha had loved the man he'd dated before. It wasn't something Evan liked thinking about, but neither was it something he could hide from.

"Drew," he called to his friend during their break.

Drew hummed to let Evan know he was listening, still busy with making sure his coffee had the perfect amount of sugar. Evan was hesitant to voice his doubts, but if anyone could give him a clear answer without judging him too much, it would be Drew.

"Do you think I've been wrong, you know, with the way I've treated all the women I've dated?" he finally asked, and Drew looked mildly surprised.

"What, you mean if I think you're a jerk?" Evan sent his friend a weak glare, but nodded all the same. "Oh, then yes, yes I do," Drew answered all too easily.

"Don't take it personal, Evan, but you're a complete asshole when it comes to dating. I mean, remember that girl you went out with for like two weeks and then left because she was 'dull'? The longest relationship you had lasted only about two or three months and every time things start to get serious you leave. So, yeah, you're pretty much a bastard, why do you ask?" Drew finished casually, sipping his hot coffee.

"Well, thank you for the detailed answer, but I was just curious," Evan said, scowling, but Drew shook his head.

"No you weren't, no one ever just 'wonders' that type of thing, especially not someone like you who's lived in denial for years. Something had to have triggered this sudden bout of sympathy towards your past victims," Drew went on, and Evan thought he was enjoying the chance to show him what a jerk he was a bit too much.

"So what is it, are you feeling guilty or something?" and reluctantly, Evan admitted that yes, he was feeling guilty, only to himself though. And instead of admitting it to his friend, he posed another question.

"Do you think I'd ever be able to have an actual relationship, one that lasted more than a month?"

Drew looked curious now, mostly because he'd never imagined his friend asking something like that. Actually, he never thought Evan would even want a real relationship with anyone. He'd always looked rather happy with the fleeting romances he'd had with all his previous girlfriends.

"Honestly? I'm not sure," he said, shrugging. "You really don't look like the type to settle down. I suppose if you found someone you really cared for," and even then, Drew doubted it because Evan had been with about half the women in the city and none had held his interest for very long.

"So I'll die old and alone," Evan deadpanned.

"Probably," said Drew, entirely too nonchalantly.

They switched to other subjects after that, but Evan still thought about what Drew had said. It stayed in his mind for the rest of the day and up until he was standing outside of Sascha's shop.

When he walked in he was a bit surprised to see Sascha sitting behind the counter, chatting happily with Jason. A small paper plate with cake was set before him. Both Sascha and Jason looked over at the doorway when Evan walked in, Sascha smiling as brightly as always.