Chapter 15: Moss Rosebud

Two days had gone by since Sascha had kicked Evan out of his shop and the man was still trying to figure out what had happened to make the florist do so. He didn't think he'd done anything that bad, after all, Sascha had kissed him back and it had taken the florist a while to push him away.

"Maybe he's just tired of you scaring away his customers," Drew suggested, sitting next to Evan at the usual bar. His friend glared at him, not appreciating the comment, and for a moment Drew was afraid the man would hit him on the head with his beer bottle. "I'm just trying to lighten the mood," he said, hands raised in a placating manner.

"Well, don't," Evan snapped and his friend took a minute to observe him with a curious expression.

"This is really eating at you, huh?" he asked, knowing the answer, because he'd never seen the other man so upset about anything else. He supposed it was just sign of how much he liked Sascha, it was just unfortunate that the florist was so stubborn. "Why'd he kick you out anyway?" Evan frowned, because he wasn't really sure. He didn't think it was because of what he'd done in his apartment.

"I have no idea," he sighed, finishing up his beer and asking for another.

"Hey, you still have to drive home, try not to get drunk," Drew pointed out.

"I'll take a cab," was Evan's short answer, because being drunk and forgetting about Sascha for a night seemed very tempting at the time.

As soon as his eyes opened the following morning, he regretted his decision because his head was killing him and it felt like the sun was trying to burn his eyes out. He fell off the bed, cursed fluently for a few minutes and then staggered to the bathroom to get ready for work and more importantly, take a couple of aspirins. Needless to say, he was absolutely miserable by the time he got to work. Not to mention he was going through more cups of coffee than he could count. By the time lunch rolled around, Evan was feeling slightly better, or at least, well enough to venture out with Drew for some food and more coffee at a nearby cafe.

"Well, you look better," Drew commented as they ate.

"I feel better," Evan responded. "That's not to say I don't still feel like crap."

"You'd feel better if you hadn't gotten drunk off your ass last night," the other man pointed out before taking a bite out of his food.

"I'd also feel better if you stopped pointing out the stupid things I do," Evan shot back.

"But that's what friends are for," Drew said with a grin. Evan didn't even dignify that with an answer. "So, what's the plan for today?" he asked, getting a shrug from Evan.

"Don't really know, but I'll probably hit the bar again," the man answered. Drew just stared at him in disbelief.

"You just spent the whole day agonizing because you got drunk last night, and you plan to do it again?" he asked incredulously.

"I didn't say I'd get drunk." Or at least, not that drunk.

"Right," Drew said, not convinced. "I have to admit, I never thought you'd turn into an alcoholic after getting dumped by a man," he told his friend, receiving a fierce glare.

"Sometimes, I really feel like punching you," Evan said bluntly, but Drew remained unimpressed.

"Just saying," the man said. "I mean, you have to admit, no one saw that one coming." Evan would give him that much.

"Yeah, well, I'm done with it all," Evan sighed.

"Really? So you're done with Sascha?" the other man asked Evan, slightly surprised because with the way his friend had been acting, he hadn't expected him to ever give up.