Darling Paranoia- A Jonathan Crane Fan Fiction Sequel

It wasn't the way things were supposed to be. It was far from. She shouldn't be in the motel room with her new boss, discussing a drug deal going down. She shouldn't have agreed to help, she should've just gone on her own. But, where would she go?

Shannon Crane was supposed to be dead. Alicia Wayne was supposed to be locked in an asylum. Paranoia, however, had nowhere to be. She had a goal- to find Jonathan Crane. He was a criminal. Shannon knew if she was to find him, she would need to know other criminals and they would lead her to him. That was her plan. And that was why know she was listening to the deranged puppet that sat in the quiet, old man's lap barking orders at his workers. He never yelled at Shannon, though. He liked her- he thought she was a funny kid, a great protégée to teach his business.

"Ah, now, Paranoia," Mr. Scarface cooed, looking to her, "I want ya ta look pretty. Doll yourself up, I don't want anyone to think I've been bringing up a ratty broad, like this one." Scarface inclined his head towards his female companion, Sugar. She pouted and looked down at her feet.

"Yes, Mr. Scarface," Shannon said flatly, jumping a bit as she saw something move close by. Just a mouse though… Scarface cackled.

"Ya are paranoid, just like your name!" he howled at the humor of it, "Ah.. Sugar, help the poor girl up, ya know she's got a problem with that leg of  hers." Sugar nodded, and eager to help, she rushed to Shannon and helped her onto her wobbly feet.

"Thank you," Shannon mumbled as Sugar started leading her to the bathroom, grabbing one of her own nice dresses for Shannon to wear as she did.

"We'll get something done about that leg soon enough, kid," Scarface promised offhandedly, before going back to talking to the rest of his men.

"Do you need any help?" Sugar asked, leaning Shannon against the sink counter and hanging the dress on the shower curtain rod.

"I'm fine," Shannon said, her tone emotionless. Sugar nodded, then left the bathroom, closing the door behind herself.  Shannon took the minutes alone to take a shaky breath. This was going to be hard for her.  Zsasz was still out there- she had seen him. Now, perhaps, he had given up finally on claiming her tally. Still, it scared her. It would always scare her. Everything would scare her until she got Jonathan back.

Shannon limped forward a little and grabbed the dress, tugging it gently down from the hanger so the delicate fabric wouldn't rip. She had to wonder what Scarface was planning to do about her with her bad leg. He had addressed it many a time, and she knew she wasn't much use to his business with a disability like hers. She guessed he had some sort of plan, as Jonathan had had…

Jonathan. She could not get his name out of her head. Even if he hadn't done those experiments, his name would still run through her head.. But if those experiments had never existed…. She could never be mad about it, never be mad at Jonathan. No matter how she pieced it, she knew he tried. All he had done he had done because he thought it was best and he wanted her safe. Sadly all that work was for nothing as she was now a criminal and he was nowhere to be found.

She slipped out of the light colored dress she had been wearing for the past couple days, and pulled on the tight fitting one to take its place. Turning to face the mirror, Shannon nearly screamed at her reflection. She hadn't looked at herself since she had left Wayne Manor… maybe even before then… Sugar had showered her after they had picked her up off the side of the street so at least she wasn't coated in dirt, but beneath her eyes were thick purple circles, and a tear was rolling down her cheek. She hadn't even noticed she was crying.. She wiped it away, then went back to examining her face. She had lost weight. Her cheeks were hollow, the bones of her arms nearly visible.

Shannon had to wonder how she was supposed to 'doll' up in this state. Balancing her weight on her good leg began to make it ache and she sat down on the closed toilet, grabbing the brush off the sink counter as she did. She pulled the brush through her hair a couple of times, and then Sugar came back in to help her with hair and makeup. Shannon didn't argue and let her do the work to make her look more alive.