Chapter Four

"Television is boring," Paranoia sighed as Dr. Fries changed the vials on the contraption attached to Shannon's leg. More morphine, more adrenaline.

"Then turn it off," Billy snorted. Paranoia and Dr. Fries allowed him to sit in on their conversations since he knew everything anyway. He was educated enough not to be an annoyance.

"She wants to watch it," Paranoia grumbled, rolling her eyes, "Always thinks there might be something."

"Why do you keep saying her when you mean you?" Billy questioned. Paranoia had been doing that ever since that dang leg thing had been put on her.

"Does it pertain to you, Billy? No. So don't you mind it," Paranoia replied, sending a glare his way. Billy snorted and leaned back in his chair.

"Have you been experiencing any odd symptoms? Mood swings?" Dr. Fries asked mildly, going off of what Billy was asking. He was curious himself, and he had a bit of an idea what was happening. If he was right, Jonathan and Shannon were more alike than he thought.

"I know what you are getting at," Paranoia sighed, "It's none of your business either, you know."

"Of course not, I just-"

"Hush!" Paranoia cried out as she turned to a news network where a gunshot had just been fired in the background.

The reporter had been announcing the opening of a new restaurant, but now he and his crew were rushing towards an alley where the gunshot had been heard. No one in the room spoke. The alley led to a slummy area lined with run down houses lining the area across the street. As they approached, the scene, a van without any sort of license tag sped away. Shannon recognized that van, and in this moment she came out just a little.

"Edward…" She went pale when she saw the body laying on the ground. Edward wouldn't have left Jonathan would he?

"Oh my God! Are you getting this?!" the reporter asked, stopping a few feet away from the body, right out of the reach of the blood. A lamp turned on to lighten the scene. Shannon's eyes widened and she gasped. It was over. "It's Zsasz!" the reporter shouted, "Victor Zsasz!"

"He…. he did it," Billy whispered.

"Shannon," Dr. Fries said softly, looking to his patient who was staring at the television with the most hope he had ever seen on her face.

"He did it," she breathed, "He's coming home."

-~-~-~-~-

"Master Wayne?" Alfred asked, coming into the bedroom of Bruce Wayne.

"What is it, Alfred?" Bruce mumbled, rolling over in bed to sit up, "What's happened?"

"He's done it, Master Bruce," Alfred said with a bit of a smile on his old face, "Zsasz is dead. Jonathan Crane should be coming back into Gotham soon."

"When did this happen?" Bruce asked.

"Last night- you were out and I didn't have the heart to wake you when you got home," Alfred smiled, "As soon as he gets in, I am sure you will be able to track him down. Then perhaps we can lure Shannon back."

"I really hate this, trying to work with the criminals," Bruce muttered.

"But you know it is what's best for Miss Shannon," Alfred reminded Bruce, "He is the only thing that will make her happy- that will make her right in the mind. Sometimes, Master Wayne, the criminals mean a bit more than just law breaking."

"I suppose so," Bruce sighed, laying back down with his arm shielding his eyes, "Would you keep the police scanner on and alert me if anything about Shannon or Jonathan pops up? And get Lucius to play the message on the news again?"

"Of course, Master Bruce," Alfred nodded.

"And Alfred?"

"Yes, Master Bruce?"

"Next time I want to get involved in something, remind me of this."

____________________________________________________________

A/N: THEY DID IT! ZSASZ IS DEAD! IT'S OVER AND- OH MY GOSH JONATHAN STOP BLEEDING!

Johnathan: I CAN'T CONTROL MY BLEEDING!

Edward: For heavens sake, I gave you a first aid kit! Stitch him up!

Jonathan and I: NO!!!!!

Edward: Fine! You, girl whose name I still don't know, switch with me! I'll stich up Jonathan!