Advice - XII

Eli had a sharp quick pain in his neck when he woke up. He was still in Jasper's chamber seated before the window. The sun hadn't peeked the horizon yet, but the soft glow of the sun could be seen gradually arriving. He sat up, holding in his stinging gasp, as each of the bruises under his clothes sorely reminded him they were there. Eli wanted to stretch his sleep away, roll his neck, and pop the bones in his fingers, but quickly decided against it.

Jasper was still sleeping, his blonde head pressed against comfy pillows, and tucked idly beneath his covers. It was nice to see him peaceful for a change, untouched by the harshness that had been granted to him the night before.

He looked down at himself after a moment. His butler's uniform was wrinkled all over and needed a good wash, his mouth was stuck, and his hair tangled.

"Elijah," Jasper's soft morning voice called then.

Eli looked back at him before exiting the shadowed room, "Yes?"

"Where are you going?" the boy asked, his tone weary and tense.

"Do not worry," Eli assured, "I'm just going to tidy myself up in my bedroom. After preparing your breakfast, I will be back at your side."

Jasper sat up, rubbing his eyes jadedly, "I don't want any breakfast. Yesterday, before I jumped to conclusions with you and Beatrice's maid, I wanted to tell you about my day. I was going to inform that you and I were going to have afternoon tea with Lady Darcy and Juliette."

Eli raised a brow, "Who is Lady Darcy and Juliette?"

"A girl a met that the ball. She is quite an interesting person I must say. I wanted to introduce you to her. She is the only person who knows of our relationship, because she has one of her own."

It took a moment for Eli to understand what Jasper meant by that. "Is that right?" he said, "When is she arriving?"

"We'll be leaving the manor to visit her residence."

Eli nodded, "Then I will be sure to make myself presentable for the Lady."

He turned as if to leave the chamber again, "Elijah, wait." When he had the butler's attention, he said, "Be careful."

A nod assured his love, "I won't be long."

He started out then, closing the chamber door behind him. The hall was quiet for the most part, and he sighed in frustration when something on the carpet floor caught his eye: a tipped over plate of pie alongside a silver container. There'd been such frenzy last night, he'd forgotten all about the mess. Taking off his tailcoat, he scooped up as much of the pie staining the floor as he could and the container as well.

When he was in his bedroom, he placed the container and sullied coat in the bathroom before taking a nice, hot well deserved bath. His body ached as he discarded his clothes, but once the warm water of the bath soaked his entire body, relief wrapped his soreness, the soak seeming to massage his pains away, if only for a moment.

The heavenly feel of his bath lasted only until he got out and dressed again. When his hair was dry, he headed back up to Jasper. In the corridor of the third floor, a wide chamber door opened and Bolton came out. He was fitted formally as usual in a russet suit, his dark hair parted to the side nicely. "Good morning," he addressed Eli, scratching his forearm. "How are you feeling?"

Eli gave a snide smile, "Perfect, in fact. I appreciate your asking."

Bolton, not having expected that chipper answer, gave Eli a look of aversion before continuing down the hall and toward the stairs.

"Damn it all!" a high infuriated voice shouted. It was coming from Francis' room. "It won't stop!"

A moment later, Edmund opened the door to his chamber, and leaned lazily against the frame, listening with a sneer as his brother yowled in aggravation. He shook his head with a light snicker, "Now I'd be upset if Jasper had sullied my bathing soap with itchy powder, but I find it entertaining to listen to the complaints of my brother. He's such a whiner."