The Wait - XXVI

Jasper was completely numb by the time he rose out of bed the next morning. He hadn't left Grigory the night before, couldn't find it in himself to simply leave after seeing Eli. He was in pain, a type of pain that didn't strike the body physically, but he was ailing and it would not relinquish him.

His driver had booked a hotel room for them in the village when Jasper refused to leave last night. The Young Master stood at the window in his clothing from yesterday, watching over the village people below. The world surrounding him was gray, dull, and washed out of all color. He pressed a hand to the icy glass, his fingers leaving a foggy print behind.

Across the village, over the tops of buildings, Jasper could see Millian Station, the place he knew Eli was being held. Although he couldn't go back, couldn't free the love of his life from his iron confinement, Jasper's mind was set at some sort of ease knowing where his red-haired butler was. No, Eli was no longer Jasper's servant. Jasper wished he had never had means to call Eli such a thing.

Backing away from the window, Jasper sat at the edge of the stiff bed, his hands together in his lap. "Why hadn't we left earlier?" he asked no one. He cursed every bit of himself for not marrying Darcy months ago, for not packing up everything and leaving when they'd had a chance. And now look what was happening. They'd waited too long, had given the monster that was Edmund the opportunity to enter their lives again only to ruin it.

A love like ours doesn't see eternity.

Why did that have to be true? Jasper desperately wanted the answer. He and Eli had never done anything to hurt anyone. All they'd wanted was to love one another, to spend their years at each other's side. This punishment wasn't fair at all, not fair at all.

Jasper looked toward the ceiling and he laid back, staring up at the dark wood panels overhead. "What did he ever do," Jasper said, his voice weary, "to deserve this?"

Of course, no answer was received, and Jasper wouldn't expect an answer from above. God, He did not answer such questions, and then Jasper wondered if He answered any questions at all. If so, there were many other things Jasper wanted the answer to. Things like: why did his mother have to be taken away so young? Why did his father have to falsely love him? Why was this world a rotten place for people like him? What was the purpose of having people like him in this rotten world?

Why was the world rotten?

Jasper would never know these things.

There was a rap on the room door, his coach handler's voice coming through a second later. "Young Master, are you quite ready for departure?"

No.

You must go back to Darcy...

No.

Promise me you won't stay...

Eli didn't want Jasper in this place. This place wasn't where he belonged.

"Young Master," the handler spoke with concern, "Are you in there?"

"Yes," Jasper finally replied, "I am here."

"Are you ready to go, now? I am sure the Lady is quite worried."

Promise me you won't stay...

Jasper sat up. His legs were weak when he stood, his entire body was weak, but he could stand. "I promise," he whispered to himself, and then gave a proper answer to his handler. "I am finished here. We may leave."

_

Eli had been standing for hours, running his thumb across his bottom lip. He could still feel Jasper's against them, taste their sweet savor. It was something he couldn't forget even if he tried. The Young Master had always had a sweetness about his taste. Every time Eli had run his tongue across any part of Jasper's body, he savored it, cherished the undergo. After the night before, that was the last time he'd get to relish Jasper's...anything. His touch. His scent. But he'd gotten to see the Young Master, and for that, Eli was grateful.