The Proposal and More - XIV

"You want to get married to me?" Darcy exclaimed.

She and Jasper were seated at a stone bench in the near center of the backyard. They were surrounded by the low grown flowers, the November coolness whispering by, and the horses in the stable behind them could be heard stirring in their stalls. Without even Juliette's presence, since she'd gone to visit family as well, it was just them two.

Jasper pushed his stray hairs behind his ears, "My god, you make marriage sound so horrifying! Am I that bad looking of a guy?"

Darcy laughed, but it was clearly composed of mixed feelings. "Of course, not, Jasper, but I mean...you know I don't like men in that manner. What makes you think I'd want to marry anyone of the opposite sex?"

"Because-."

"And what would Juliette think? Oh, my sweet love, she would burst at the thought of losing me to another...guy, of all people."

"Darcy-."

"Have you even spoken to Elijah about this? You know, Jasper, I'd have thought at least him to be the one who broke your heart instead of the other way around." She rose from the stone bench then, her hands up, "I'm sorry, Jasper, you know I can't."

Grabbing Darcy's hand, Jasper tugged her back down, "If you would give me a moment to explain why I'm proposing this, my Lady, please." He had her full attention now as she rubbed her hand. "I'm not doing this because I want to marry you. I'm asking for your hand to benefit both of our clandestine relationships with Elijah and Juliette."

Darcy looked around although knowing they were alone. "Apologies," she said, confused, "Jasper, I do not follow your thoughts."

Taking a breath, Jasper crossed his legs, folding his hands above his knees. "If we get married, Elijah and Juliette will still be labeled under our authority. With that said, wherever you and I go, they go. And if we so happen to move far from this place to live out our happily married life, no one will ever know our hearts are in fact held by the servants at our sides."

A minute passed before a brilliant light of realization crossed Darcy's hazel eyes. "Jasper Lancechester, I think you are about the most intelligent human being I have ever encountered. That's a perfect idea!" She jumped up, her violet dress whipping lightly in the wind, short black hair brushing her shoulders. "I can simply picture it now; Juliette and I having our own bedroom. Every morning I would be permitted to awaken to the beautiful sight of her. She would no longer have to falsely serve me in the name of Milridge." Darcy took Jasper's hands, "I could even purchase Juliette her very own vanity. Oh, she absolutely adores mine. How wonderful would it be to merely sit and watch as she combs her faultless brown hair, staring at her reflection in the mirror? Oh, Jasper, I will happily carry your surname with pride so long as my Juliette and I can be together."

Jasper was overtaken by Darcy's excitement. He was just as ecstatic as her, but he was trying with all his willpower to contain it. After all, they were still at the manor. "I am glad you understand. The only way for Elijah and I to be together absent pretence, as well as you and Juliette, we must move far from this place. And we both are not allowed that freedom unless taken by hand."

With a smile forever on her lips, Darcy poked Jasper's shoulder, "You are indeed a devious little lord, aren't you? Plotting to fool our families. But I cannot say I am not right alongside you in this." She clapped her hands in excitement. "My parents are going to be thrilled when I tell them the news of us."

"As will my father," Jasper said. "It was him who actually formulated the thought for me. Well, not exactly, but he kept up with the idea of me having to marry. So I thought, why not the esteemed Lady Darcy."