Chapter 4 - Jackies

We stare out for some time before we start walking into the unknown

We stare out for some time before we start walking into the unknown. All we can see is the ground of clouds in front of us and nothing else but open sky. The sun is beaming down on us as we set out to find Mehco. The other family that left went into the information hut that is against the wall right outside the gate. I don't know what's in there but I know it's not where we have to be.

I get out the map so we can see where we have to go. "Bashandark" The map goes 3D and the red dot has moved from the inside of Hanzid to the outside by the gate. That's us, and our goal is all the way in central Mehco, or well I think it is. This map shows exactly where you are but it is very vague on where the person. The dome doesn't cover all of Mehco though.

"Okay it's not too far, I mean if you look into the distance you can almost make out the city walls. Almost." Zanna looks at me with doubt. I decided to just start walking.

The ground is different here. Inside the kingdom walls, the ground is covered with dirt and we have streets. There are two very badly laid earth roads that lead to either Rinzark or Mehco. But on both sides of the ground road, there are just clouds. They laid these roads for easy safe passage to the kingdoms. But I highly doubt that the road to Rinzark is used often. Before the roads were laid, there used to be only clouds. you would have to walk carefully in order to not step into any holes otherwise you fall to your deaths. That's why they laid earth down. Walking on clouds is very unpredictable. Some places the cloud could be thick and other places the cloud could be thin enough to fall through. Where we live there are quite a few places without a path.

We follow the map the whole way until we see Mehco in the distance. I put the map back into Zarco's bag and take out a little snack for us. It is a bar of Jackies that we ate as little kids.

"Where did you get these from?" Zarco asks.

"I went to get some from that nice old lady at the market two days ago, after work. Bought them for celebrating winning the power cup."

"Thanks!" Zanna says taking a bite out of hers. She savours the moment. "But how did you know we'd win?"

I just smile and continue eating. A bite of a Jackie consists of a bottom layer of chocolate, then a layer of cut up dried apricots and then topped with some more chocolate. Our parents bought these all the time when they came back from their travels in Mehco. There are two pieces each fifteen centimetres in length wrapped in some plastic. We walk in silence, eating the Jackies and taking in the all of what just happened. We left our home to go on a quest for the king and queen to save their daughter. In order to do that, we have to find all the other elements. That's a lot to take in.