Chapter 9 - School

I get woken up by the sound of silence. I open my eyes and see that we've come to a stop, the rumbling of the car is gone. Eli opens his door and the heat is sucked out into the freezing air outside. I lift my head from the window and look out of it. We have stopped among other cars who have snow piling on their roofs. There is so much more snow here than the place we first arrived.

Zanna opens her door and brightness fills the car. I reach for my sunglasses on my head and open the door. My feet splash in a small puddle as I hop out. Slamming the door I look around as the snow falls from the sky. To the left by the road, I spot a small stone wall in a patch of grass with the words, Charlestown Community School.

"Where are we, Eli?" I turn and see Zanna in Eli's arms, probably trying to warm up.

"At the only school in town." They turn to look at the building behind them. It is a long one-story building built with a dark, red brick, resembling the other buildings around it. There are small trees lined up in front of windows, with snow instead of leaves covering the branches. In the middle is an extended triangular roof with pillars either side. Glass doors stand as an entrance to the school.

"How long were we driving for?" Zarco grunts in agreement, holding his arms close to his chest.

"For about 4 and a half hours. That would make it about lunch time now, which would mean our opportunity to look through the school should be coming up soon."

"What do you mean by that?" Zarco cups his hands over his mouth and blows.

"Well, they will all stop their classes and have a break. That is when we can go and look around, blending in with them." I cross my arms, shielding my hands from the cold air.

"So how do you expect us to find the element? You were a lucky find, you know, right-time, right-place type of thing. Do you expect us to just ask every one of them whether or not they've got powers?" The silence is met with a loud bell ringing. The three of us cover our ears while Eli turns and makes his way to the school. The bell stops and we decide to follow him.

"So what is your plan then?" Zanna says as we catch up to him.

"I don't know, I guess just look for someone who is out of the ordinary," he stops and looks at us, "Actually, in our case, someone who is ordinary." He smiles, pushing the doors open to the loud voices of students.

Inside there are three corridors filled with people walking in various directions. Each corridor is filled with metal cupboards along the walls. Posters and stickers fill the wall space, each advertising many strange things from the human world. A banner is strung up in the corridor leading straight, Charlestown's Winter Formal 9.12.'18, written on it.

"I think we should split up. Zanna and I will go this way, Zarco you go that way and Zora-"

"I'll go that way." I point to the second corridor with the banner. Eli nods.

"Meet here after lunch, okay?" We nod and separate.

I walk my way through the crowds, scanning for any non-human signs. The flow of the crowd carries me to an open hall filled with tables and chairs. I look around at the different types of people. Across the hall, by the windows, there is a tall guy holding a scrawny, little boy by his jacket collar. Behind him is what looks like his posy of friends, each cheering him on. The other people around all seem oblivious to what is going on. Those passing by take a glance, roll their eyes and carry on, ignoring the helpless boy. He looks terrified, shaking his head, denying whatever the guy is asking of him. A rush of anger comes over me and before I know it a glass of water from the table of girls next to them flies at them. It hits the tall guy on shoulder, breaks and splashes his face. He instantly lets go of the little boy - who takes the opportunity to run away - and turns around to find out who did it. The girls, each holding their hands up in denial, look at him with fear. He starts for the table yet is stopped in his tracks. I use the water splashed on him to hold him back. He flings his arms forwards as though trying to get rid of something in front of him. Some people watching start whispering and laughing as he struggles. His posy of friends watches confused and fearful.