Chapter One

I push my way through the door of Scabland Wines Tasting Room, a line drawing of a rocky plateau etched in the glass. What would possess anyone to name their place Scabland anything? The air conditioning brushes my overheated skin, the cool air a relief after walking through the August evening, where the heat lingers in the air even though the sun sits low on the horizon. A sleek bar of dark wood runs the length of one wall, with floor-to-ceiling shelves showcasing bottles of wine. The other walls are painted a cream color and decorated with black and white landscape photos, making the space feel at once airy and welcoming. Large picture windows on the wall facing the street let the last of the golden evening light filter in.

It's past dinner time, and I just got into Walla Walla. I checked into the hotel where I'm staying for a couple of days while I find a place to live then came to the tasting room. My plan is to get an apartment before I start my new job as the assistant business manager and events coordinator at Scabland Wines' main campus, which overlooks the Columbia River a little over a half hour west of here. I'm currently in their downtown Walla Walla tasting room, which I'm told is responsible for a good portion of their local business. I want to check it out before I start work.

My oldest brother Brian put me in touch with Roger to help me get this gig. Roger is the business manager at Scablands and Brian's contact person there. Brian knew I was looking for a fresh start after how things ended with my ex, and had heard that Scabland was looking for someone new. They've been steadily expanding over the last year, and Brian raves about their wines. I don't know that much about wines—I mean, I'm not as bad as Jenna, his new wife, but I'm not a wine expert by any means—but I know about business. Roger assured me that I'd learn what I need to know on the job, which made me feel better. I won't be in charge of serving or recommending wines in the tasting rooms, and I'll have help with those suggestions for the events coordinator part of my position. That part worries me the most. I've organized some small parties and things in college, but nothing on this level. Roger seems to think I'll be fine, though, and I'm determined to prove him right.

A blonde woman that looks about my age smiles at me from behind the bar. I smile back and walk closer. It's quiet, which I imagine is normal for almost eight o'clock on a Thursday. I'd imagine that people come in closer to the end of work and have a drink before going home. Or on the weekend.

"What can I get you?" The nametag on her black shirt says Lisa.

At the last second I decide not to tell her I'm going to be working here. I want to see what it's like to be a normal customer and not get any special treatment. I shake my head and give her a little shrug. "I'm not sure. I'm new in town. What do you recommend?"

She reaches under the bar and pulls out a couple of bottles. "Our twenty-eleven Syrah was named the number one Syrah in Washington State last year. Let me pour you a flight of some of our popular options."

I smile and nod, looking around while she pours the samples into stemless glasses etched with the name of the wine. Square tables of the same dark wood as the bar are arranged around the room with simple ladder-back wooden chairs pushed up to them. They're not as cozy as the armchairs, couches, and low coffee tables that Brian uses, but it fits with the clean, sleek lines of the rest of the decor. I can see why people come here.

I turn back to Lisa as she pushes the small board of wine glasses closer to me, reaching first for the white wine on the left. The flight boasts two whites and three reds, going from lightest to darkest. White wines aren't my favorite, but I take a sip or two of each one anyway, so I'll have something to suggest if it ever comes up.

I'm most looking forward to the dark red wine on the far right. It's their famous Syrah, fruity with some spicy overtones. It's one of Brian's favorites, he goes through a lot of it at his wine bar.