Chapter Two

Max's lips brush against mine. His hands cup my face, tilting my head back, and he presses his lips to mine once more, more firm this time, but still without tongue.

He pulls back, studying my face before settling on my eyes. His lids are half lowered, his pupils large, and my breath feels caught in my chest. "Are you going to invite me in?"

We're standing at the door to my hotel room. Before I could get my key card out, he backed me against it and kissed me. Not the devouring kiss I half expected, but light kisses, a precursor for what's to come. What could come. Maybe I could come.

The thoughts bounce around my head while his eyes hold mine. Am I going to invite him in? Should I? I had decided to let the night end, but if he's not ready to go, why should I send him away? I haven't let loose and had fun like this in a long time. Too long. Maybe this is what I need. I've come here to start over, after all.

I bring my hands up to cover his and pull them down, swallowing my hesitation before raising my eyes to his again. "Would you like to come in?"

He graces me with another of his brilliant smiles. "I'd love to." He takes a step back to give me room to turn around and get the door open.

His presence behind me sends a shiver down my spine despite the heat of the day. He follows me in, and I head to the mini fridge stocked with soda and tiny bottles of liquor. I feel the need for some liquid courage, the wine I drank earlier long since out of my system.

I pull out a little bottle of whisky and a soda, turning to hold them up. "Would you like a ..."

My question dies before it finishes when I realize Max is right there. He pulls the drinks out of my hands and sets them on the counter at my back without a word. His hands return to my hips where he pulls me against him, his mouth coming down on mine once more.

This. This is what I expected in the hallway. His mouth is firm and demanding, and he nips at my lower lip with his teeth. With a gasp at the unexpected sting my mouth opens, and his tongue sweeps in. He tastes like strawberries.

His hands run up my back under my shirt, kneading and caressing my skin. I'm swept away by him, by his kiss, by his commanding presence, and it seems like all I can do to hold on, my fists clutching his shirt my only anchor.

He breaks away from my mouth and runs his lips down my jaw to my neck, biting and sucking at the place where my neck meets my shoulder. I shrug my shoulder to discourage that. It feels good, but I don't want a hickey. I'm twenty-two for God's sake, not a teenager in the first throes of lust. I didn't even let boys give me hickeys then, especially not with two older brothers watching all the guys who were interested in me.

Max raises his head, a wicked grin on his lips and mischief dancing in his eyes. Before I can react he lifts my tank top, and my arms raise to help him strip it off me. He tosses it to the side, his eyes on my breasts. I look down and realize I'm wearing the most boring bra imaginable—beige cotton with zero decoration. It's not like I expected to show off my lingerie for anyone today.

I open my mouth to explain away the bra choice, nerves getting the better of me. Before I can say anything he traces one finger along the edge of the cup. "You're beautiful, Cate."

I guess boring lingerie doesn't faze Max. Both hands come up and cup my breasts. His large hands engulf them, the upper curve just spilling over his grip. He circles my nipples with his thumbs, bringing them to attention, absorbed by what he's doing to me.

He tugs one cup aside to expose my now-hard nipple. Bending down, he takes it in his mouth and sucks deep, a groan rumbling in his chest. I can't stifle the gasp that escapes from my mouth, and I clutch at the counter behind me so I don't fall from the sensation.