Chapter Six

I slip into a new routine at Scabland Wines, getting used to driving for an hour each day to and from work. After the first couple of weeks my days off switched to weekdays since I have to be available on the weekends to help with events. Labor Day weekend was my first big cluster. We had our biweekly live music night in the on-site tasting room, a large wedding on Saturday, and a smaller one that Sunday. It was stressful, but everything went well, minus a few bridezilla moments. Roger and Max were both on hand that weekend, but let me run the show.

That Wednesday when I came back after a few days off, Roger told me he'd just let me handle all the events from then on. And to let him know if I needed any extra help with anything or ever felt like I was in over my head. It was a nice boost to my confidence to be handed so much responsibility so soon after starting. I enjoy the event planning more than I expected. I was afraid it would pull me away from the business aspect of things, but I'm coordinating with other vendors, managing budgets and people, and exploring how we can exploit the marketing avenues available to draw in more of the type of clients we want. Roger is teaching me everything he handles so that I can cover for him if needed, but my day-to-day work is handling the events, which is getting busier as summer turns into fall and we start planning for the upcoming holiday season.

On Friday afternoon Diana, the on-site tasting room manager, knocks on the door and pokes her head in my office. "Hey, Cate. Can I talk to you a second?"

"Sure. What's up?" I push back from my desk and give her my attention. I'd just gotten in and was going over what I need to get done today.

She comes all the way in my office and lets out an annoyed sigh. "Sarah just went home sick." She shakes her head. "I'm not sure what's going on, but she looked like she was in tears when she left. I don't think it's a physical ailment, though."

I keep my face neutral. Diana and I have gotten to know each other over the last few weeks, and Sarah's one of her problem employees. She knows her wine and does a good job when she works. But that's the problem. She's been out sick more often than not lately. "Okay. Is there something you need me to do?"

"I've called around, and I can't get anyone else to cover her shift. Normally it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but tonight we're open later because it's a live music night." She wrinkles her brow and shakes her head. "I'm surprised Sarah would take off sick tonight if she's not really sick. She's missing out on more money than usual. It's not like her to miss a busy night. I worry about that girl." The last sentence is softer than the rest.

"That does seem strange. What is it that you need me to do? Do you want me to see if the caterer can bring in an extra server to pick up for Sarah?" We use a few different caterers on a rotating basis for these things. Usually they just prep the food and our servers bring it to the patrons unless it's a wedding, then the caterers bring their own servers and our people just handle the wine.

Diana shakes her head. "No. That won't work. The wine is more important than the food tonight. We need someone who knows about wine, or who can learn our wines quickly. An outside server won't be able to handle it."

"Okay." I draw out the word, thinking. "What are you hoping I can do for you?"

She gives me a pointed look. When I review the last thing she said in my mind her meaning becomes clear.

"No. No no no. You can't want me to do that."

"Why not? I know you have serving experience. You mentioned that you were a waitress for a couple years in college."

I groan on the inside, regretting now that I told her that.

"Please, Cate. You'll be here anyway, and we really need the help."