Chapter 24

Stewart's brother's worn-down house was located in a secluded area near the mountains. Pine trees surrounded the area, giving it an air of seclusion. Several people stood in scattered groups talking, obligatory red solo cups in hand.

Terry greeted Russell and Sal, and stared up at Russell's face. "Is that... eyeliner?"

Russell tucked a lock of hair behind his ear, eyes on the ground. "Yeah. It doesn't look stupid, does it?"

"No, it looks awesome. And that belt. You finally look like a proper goth."

Those were Sal's exact words when Russell showed up at his door. Eyeliner around the bottom of his eyes, and a pyramid-studded belt. Along with the other accessories he had started wearing regularly. His parents would be appalled.

Stewart and a tall, college-aged boy approached the group. "Hi Russell, hi Sal. This is my brother, Adam," Stewart said.

"Yo homies, I'm Adam." It was easy to tell Adam and Stewart were brothers, but at the same time, they seemed so different. Adam's baggy jeans and sports jersey clashed with Stewart's usual polo shirt and pressed trousers.

"I'm Sal." Sal reached out to shake Adam's hand, but Adam held out his fist instead. Sal went along with the fist bump while wondering what the rest of Stewart's family was like.

"You bros want a beer? We got plenty." Adam led them up a few rickety steps into the house.

The inside was shabby, musty-smelling, and in need of painting. All of the furniture was either scratched up or stained. Sal wasn't surprised. He expected worse from college frat bros. He reprimanded himself for thinking of them as college frat bros. Adam seemed friendly enough, even if he was offering beer to high-schoolers.

Terry and Russell accepted Adam's offer of drinks. Sal declined.

"Aren't you going to drink?" Terry asked.

"Hello no," Sal said. "It's illegal."

Russell took a long sip of the can of beer in his hand. "Since when do you care about following rules?"

"Since when did you stop caring about following rules?" Sal asked with folded arms.

"I'm only having one. Lighten up." He took another sip. "God, this stuff is amazing."

Terry frowned down at the can in their hand. "I've had better."

"I'm not drinking any," Sal said.

"And that's fine." Russell wrapped his arm around Sal's shoulder. "You don't have to do anything you don't wanna do."

Sal forced himself to smile. "So, a college party. What the hell do we even do?"

"Beer pong!" a voice shouted from the family room. Everyone in the vicinity cheered.

"Oh my God, I've always wanted to play beer pong!" Russell tilted his head back, gulping down the rest of his can. He crumpled it and shoved it into Stewart's hand before running off towards the family room. There, a folding table was set up with multiple cups of what Sal assumed to be beer.

"I thought you were only having one," Sal said as they both approached the table.

"That was before I knew about beer pong." He turned to Sal, eyes sparkling with excitement. "I'll only play one round."

"You have to drive."

"And by that time, I'll be sober." Russell nudged him. "Play a round with me."

"I want no part of this." Sal threw his hands up, and walked away, keeping an eye out for a place to sit that wasn't occupied. Terry and Stewart had made their way towards the beer pong table, so hanging out with those two was out. What am I going to do here for three hours? College parties were proving to be boring. He found solace in the hallway, and fell to the stained carpet, back against the wall. He pulled his phone out from his pocket, and caught up on various social media sites.